Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Arranafc19
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power bi equivaent of sql Coalesce across multiple datasets

Hi 

I am wondering whether there is a Power Bi equivalent of Coalesce that I could use taking on fields from multiple datasets ?

I have a scenario where I have one main dataset which stores all my products , with a relationship created with other datasets for the orders.

I have a product table with looks like below where the product ID is a unique id :

Product ID | Name | Date Created 

I then have multiple datasets which store the order information for the products depending on the type like below :

Product ID | Date Sold | Current Status 

There are three different datasets for the above format , BikeOrders , CarOrders , VanOrders with the product ID of the main table existing in one of these tables , depending on the type of product and relationship has been created between these based on the product id.

What I need to do is create a field on the main dataset (Product) called Order status which will pull in the status from the dataset where the product ID exists .

Is there a dax function that will allow this ?

Effectively it needs to work like the following :

If (bike orders status is null , check car orders status , if that is null then vanorders etc)

Can anyone assist with this ?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Arranafc19 ,

Please review the following documentations and check if they can achieve your requirement:

DAX Coalesce Function in Power BI

From SQL to DAX: Implementing NULLIF and COALESCE in DAX

How can I perform COALESCE in power query?

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

we have coalesce and we take data from multiple data set , but can not take ungrouped. so we need to have some common level to the group .

See this example how diff has taken from two dates by having them from two different tables but choosing a common dimension/level

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Decoding-Direct-Query-in-Power-BI-Part-2-Date-Differ...

COALESCE is relatively new to PowerBi but it is in DAX now.  Available in current version of powerbi, for sure.

You should be able to write a COALESCE statement to get the status from each of the xxxorders tables.  You might need RELATED depending on the nature and direction of the relationships.

Also, the data model looks a little unusual.  It looks like the Product table is the Fact table and each of the Orders tables are dimensions.  It is more common to put all the Orders as a fact table and use Product table as dimension.  Depends on what is being reported on, of course.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.