Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power bi desktop rs multiple versions

How many versions of Power BI Desktop RS can you have installed? I upgraded my computer to March 2018 version as I am testing same version of Power BI Report server on a Dev server. Now I need to edit some Power BI reports created with Desktop RS Oct 2017 version, and hosted in our Production server with same version. When I tried to install the old version I got a message that I can't because I already have a newer version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You may install one for 32-bit version and one for 64-bit version.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was finally able to accomplish what was needed. For the benefit of anyone that may have same issue I will share my findings :

1. You can have multiple versions of Power BI Desktop (E.g. Oct 2017, Mar 2018, Jun 2018) for non RS versions (RS is synced to same version of on-premise Power BI Report Server).
  2. You can have 2 versions of Power BI RS if each one is different architecture (E.g. 32 bits, 64 bits). I was able to install RS Oct 2017 32 bit version, and RS Mar 2018 64 bit version. This allows to have one version for the Production environment (older version), and a newer version for testing against a newer Report Server. This is useful for testing new features.

Note :

Doesn't matter if your server is running 64 bits and you run a 32 bit RS Desktop version, as long as they are the same (E.g. Mar 2018) then they communicate succesfully.

As always, thanks to everyone for their feedback and suggestions.

Hi,

You can have 2 versions of Power BI Desktop RS (RS is synced to same version of on-premise Power BI Report Server) on the same PC running side by side.  First make a copy of the current version of the folder and rename it.  Install Power BI Desktop RS new version.  Then delete the old desktop shortcut and make a new one out from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop RS\bin (PBIDesktop.exe).  Also, create another shortcut to the older version of the Power BI Desktop.  

PBIDesktop-MultipleVersions.JPG

Thanks

Regards

Peter

Yes, but on March 2020 I tested this with Desktop Sep 2019 RS 32 bits and Desktop Jan 2020 RS x64. You still can't have 2 RS versions with same architecture (E.g. either both x64 or 32 bits). This is a glaring ommision by Microsoft as installing a 32 bit version next to a X64 is limiting as 32 bit apps. cannot use much memory (some of my reports now produce errors while I test them due to large data size while opened in 32 Desktop RS, these worked OK w/o errors on the X64 Desktop RS version).

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You may install one for 32-bit version and one for 64-bit version.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you can have many versions, but, it seemd like only 1 version that is RS (connects to a Report Server). This is causing issues as I upgraded our testing server, but now I can't save/publish to our older Production Report Server. This is a major drawback, how is one suppose to test new versions if it renders our computers useless to publishing to another version? Just another of many Microsoft glaring and important omissions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors