Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

inder

Power Query very slow in extracting data from website

So I am trying to extract data from a retail website , to get urls first for the products , then from the URL extracting the data.

So I am tryingn to get 29 pages of data , each page 96 products , 2784 products data .

Problem is everthing works fine except data loading into the model from power query , its very slow , it take 5-6 hours to get the data and ultimately it fails , though i can see the data in power query editor screen.

How can I increase the Power Query Speed to extract data from internet , and also how to load it faster ,without it again extracting data while loading in to model. And also not crashing finally.

below is the code for same.

et Source = {1..29}, #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error), #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", Int64.Type}}), #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", "Page"}}), #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Custom", each women([Page])), #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Link", "Merged", "desc", "Type", "URL"}, {"Link", "Merged", "desc", "Type", "URL"}), #"Removed Errors" = Table.RemoveRowsWithErrors(#"Expanded Custom"), #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Removed Errors",{"Page", "Link", "Merged", "desc", "Type"}), #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "skudata", each skudata([URL])), #"Expanded skudata" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Invoked Custom Function", "skudata", {"SKU", "cl", "cl 1.", "Suppliet", "Supplier No.", "Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Supplier Style No."}, {"SKU", "cl", "cl 1.", "Suppliet", "Supplier No.", "Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Supplier Style No."}) in #"Expanded skudata"

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@inder,

Try to disable File > Options and settings > Options > CURRENT FILE > Data Load > Allow data preview to download in the background.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Guys this is really annoying, extremely slow, I have tried against several webpages and to no avail. Currently it seems it doesn't run in parallel. Let's say you have 1000 pages then it should at least assign the workload simultaneously, with R or Python you can run a loop in parallel, without that feature, is a deal breaker.

I was hoping to use a M query in a package in SSIS, but the performance is simply not enterprise or business ready!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you find any solution? I have same problem. I'm also trying to get some data from website and its terribly slow. It's taking 6-7 hours.

I have tried the preview diasble  also , still its very slow and unable to extract all data for 29 pages .

The URL link extraction function works fine even for 400 pages , the first function (women)  created to extract links from the website..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.