Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eread
Frequent Visitor

Power Query unique listing of names

I am working on a project where we have a number of company names, and the same company may be spelled (or misspelled) many, many different ways.  I can use power query to change the case, trim the fields, and things like that, but in the end I may have a listing which includes a name many different ways.  I'd like to create a 'master' list of names that I can use, and every month when new names are added, decide to include into an existing 'master' name, or to create a new one.  This listing is 4K long (as we are going back in time), and wanted to see if anyone has a solution whereby we can create this 'master' listing of names once, and add to it as new names are added.  Any advice is appreciated on how to do this and maintain it over time.

Thank you,  Ed

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @eread,

Perhaps you can take a look at below article which about grouping and summarize, but I think it not very suitable for your requirement.

Grouping or Summarizing Data

>>For instance, I have Oracle Corp. in my raw listing at least 12 different way's, some of which I can use the power query features to reduce down, to say 8 unique names, but others may even have Oracle spelled incorrectly. 

You can try to use the group function(database side) to create the category table, then load it to power bi and use it as the main category, it may simple than add a custom column with conditions.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

I just came across this blog post from Matt Allington from Excelerator BI which was exactly what I was looking for.  I haven't tried it, but will shortly.  http://exceleratorbi.com.au/cleansing-data-power-query/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eread,

In my opinion, you can add a custom column as custom category to group these names.
Since power query not support regular expression, you have to write a complex condition to grouping these name to the main category.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the responses.  I was hoping others have run across a similar situation.  While the custom category technically would work, It seems like it would take a very long time to get to the end product I was looking for.  For instance, I have Oracle Corp. in my raw listing at least 12 different way's, some of which I can use the power query features to reduce down, to say 8 unique names, but others may even have Oracle spelled incorrectly.  It seems like I may have to take the long listing of unique names into excel, create a grouping there, and then pull it back into BI.  Perhaps the category feature could work on any new names added each month. 

Any added thoughts, please do not desitate to share.  Thank you.  Ed

Hi @eread,

Perhaps you can take a look at below article which about grouping and summarize, but I think it not very suitable for your requirement.

Grouping or Summarizing Data

>>For instance, I have Oracle Corp. in my raw listing at least 12 different way's, some of which I can use the power query features to reduce down, to say 8 unique names, but others may even have Oracle spelled incorrectly. 

You can try to use the group function(database side) to create the category table, then load it to power bi and use it as the main category, it may simple than add a custom column with conditions.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

I just came across this blog post from Matt Allington from Excelerator BI which was exactly what I was looking for.  I haven't tried it, but will shortly.  http://exceleratorbi.com.au/cleansing-data-power-query/

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

you can simply right click the table column's header and select "Drill Into", that should give you the column as a list.

then, You can use conditional logic to check whether particular name is exist in the list with the variations. (As long as you know the variations)

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.