Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JeremyLeee
Helper I
Helper I

Power Query reference later added column

Hi All,

I want to create a new column "Current Max" like what we did in excel below:

Capture.PNG

but we can't reference to steps (new columns) created later, is there a way to achieve this in Powe BI?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just want to follow up on my previous post, rather than add ton of steps and still can't achieve the goal, at the end I just wrote a short python scripts using for loop and while loop then run it in Power Query Editor to add all columns I want.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not entirely clear on what makes a new max. Any chance you can load some more data that shows exactly what you are looking to accomplish?  This can more than likely be done in Powe Query

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your quick response, for clarificaiton:

A New Max is 1 when current SOC is larger than the previous Current Max;

A Deep Cycle is 1 when Current Max is larger than current SOC.

Capture2.PNG

Thanks,

Jeremy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JeremyLeee ,

Let's see how this goes. I will attach the pbix file below since this is on done in Power Query. But here's what I did:

• Added an index column starting at 0
  • Added a new column that will take the max of SOC starting from index 0 (row 1) till the current rows index, which will be 1 less than the current actual row #
if [Index] = 0
then
[Array SOC]
else
List.Max(
List.Range(#"Added Index"[Array SOC],0,[Index]),1)
  • Added a column for new max if the current soc > max till current row give a 1, else a zero. Unless the index is 0 ( which would be the first row) and then by default that is the max
  • added a column for deep cycle if the max til the current row > current array soc
  • Removed the index column and Max till current row columns. Dont need to delete them but no sense in keeping them if they arent used elsewhere

PQ New Max List.png

File:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amqd8ArUSwDS0wCifSvJHEtWbIbk

@Anonymous 

Hi Nick, one more thing to address, the current solution can't fully achieve the goal since Current Max is also determined by Deep Cycle: if there is a deep cycle = 1 in previous row, the current max should recount, please see my first screen shot.

Deep Cycle is 1 when (Current Max - SOC) > 70. so basically as this achieved, the Current Max should reset.

Thanks again,

Jiaming 

For example:

Capture.PNG

The first apperance of Deep Cycle = 1 is correct, but afterwards Max Till Current Row should be reset to value of SOC, so that there won't be 1 all the way to the end

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JeremyLeee 

Wasn't 100% clear to me, but here's what I got. 

• Added a TRUE/FALSE column if the Max till Current Row - Current SOC > 0
  • Added another column using List.Range and the Index column to get the previous column TRUE FALSE
  • New Column for DeepCycle which looks for TRUE in the 1st column we added and then False in the second column
  • New column that if Deep Cycle = 1 then give that Rows SOC value, otherwise null. 
  • Then filled down that column so the value of the SOC column when Deep Cycle was 1 is the value in the rows below it and not null

Also had to account if the index was 0 (since that was the 1st row)

Here's the final table. Made some changes to the Array SOC column so I could see if it was working like I expected. You wouldn't need all these columns and could really compress all these steps into just a few, or even better a function. But left them all there so you could see

v2 final table.png

PBIX file:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amqd8ArUSwDS0ywHNzHBP1ao--Eu

@AnonymousHi Nick,

Thanks for your response, the idea is "Max till Current Row" should be reset to current SOC once there's a deep cycle achieved.

In your solution, it works since row 7 (SOC = 800) is bigger than row 2 (SOC = 700), but if I change the value of row 7 to 600, the deep cycle would not be detected.

Capture.PNG

There should be a deep cycle = 1 in row 8 since 600-66.17>70.

Thanks again.

Just want to follow up on my previous post, rather than add ton of steps and still can't achieve the goal, at the end I just wrote a short python scripts using for loop and while loop then run it in Power Query Editor to add all columns I want.

Great, thanks a lot.

Jeremy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.