Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rfr
Frequent Visitor

Power Query performance issue

Hi All

I have a Power BI file/application which I amend from time to time. It draws data from several excel workbooks and the worksheets within them, and occasionally I'll make amendments in PowerQuery to include new data or calculations. The workbooks are synchronized via OneDrive to my local machine.

The problem I'm having now is that each transformation operation I perform (e.g. add a custom column) takes ages (5-20 minutes). Looking at the status bar (bottom left), several excel source files appear to be re-read after every operation, even though some of them aren't directly related to the dataset I'm transforming. (they are source files for the application, just not the derived table I'm working with). For example, the status bar will show "533 MB from source1.xlsx" and continually refresh; apparently switching between files). I would expect these operations to be performed 'in-memory', rather than a reload from excel.

It appears this is not memory problem nor processing power problem - I've moved the file to large virtual machine and my memory and CPU utilisation are low, but the problem persists. Also, I've disabled loading in the background in the Power BI options.

Could anyone advise on where the problem may lie and how to best resolve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rfr
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Just a followup: I read the recommended posts and watched an interesting video on query referencing here. In the end, I changed my design to duplicate the table I was previously referencing. I was able to amend some steps and remove several others in my derived queries, and the performance was MUCH better i.e. less than a minute to refresh instead of 20 minutes or more.

Query Referencing v. DuplicatingQuery Referencing v. Duplicating

R.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
rfr
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Just a followup: I read the recommended posts and watched an interesting video on query referencing here. In the end, I changed my design to duplicate the table I was previously referencing. I was able to amend some steps and remove several others in my derived queries, and the performance was MUCH better i.e. less than a minute to refresh instead of 20 minutes or more.

Query Referencing v. DuplicatingQuery Referencing v. Duplicating

R.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rfr ,

I find some posts for this problem, you could refer to this post   for details. By the way, I am  not professional in performance, so I suggest you could @ super users in forum for more suggestions.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.