Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query keeps case detail but Power BI loses case detail

Hi,

I saw something odd with a simple dataset today.

I have an excel file with the following contents:
case1.JPG

The first column contains simple characters. The second column contains a description of the first column.

When I load the excel file into Power Query I see the datset like this:

case1.JPG

All looks ok in Power Query.

When I load from Power Query to the Data Model (Power BI) I see this:
case1.JPG

You will notice that characters are appearing in Power BI as lowercase but are uppercase in the source/Power Query.

Can anyone explain why the character's case are behaving in this way?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Same is happening for me.

This is by design. Power BI workbook uses a case insensitive language setting. As a result, strings in the same column which differ only by cases will be consolidated into a single string depending on whichever happens to be imported first. Query Editor UI displays the strings in the original case before the Import, Data View shows the strings after the Import.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft

Thanks for your reply.
You mention this functionality is by design.
What happens if the Power BI user/developer wants the case to be same in Power BI as it is in the source, and doesn't want Power BI to consolidate the case into a single string, how can this acheived?
Is there a setting to overule the Power BI consolidation?

It seems to be a bad design feature as the user may wish the case to be the same as the source for a reason. If it is a good design feature then can you give me an example of why it is good?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found another post (see below link) that asks the same question as me on this topic.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Data-Modeling-Uppercase-and-Lowercase-issues/idi-p/280362

I've included the link here to so others may find an answer directly to my post , or through the other post via my link above.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.