Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DM_EU
Helper I
Helper I

Power Query : how to get date from year and weekday?

Hello,

I have a table with Year and WeekDay and I need the whole date to link the table to my DimDate.

How I can I get the date from year and weekday?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
NickA01
Resolver III
Resolver III

Can you please advise what columns you have in your dimDate table. 
I'm thinking you could do something the lines of merging your Year_WeekNumber and Year_DayOfWeek in PowerQuery (Merge as New Join on Year, Expand then drop the second Year Column) 
Once you have this, dependent on what is in your DimDate, it sould be a simple multiColumn Look up against your DimDate. 

NickA01_0-1653560171241.png

I'm using the RadCad DAX date dimension tbl from HERE
https://radacad.com/all-in-one-script-to-create-calendar-table-or-date-dimension-using-dax-in-power-...

Here's the PowerQuery script to join the tables 
let
Source = Table.NestedJoin(B_Year_WeekNumber, {"Year"}, A_YearDayOfWeek, {"Year"}, "YearDayOfWeek", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded YearDayOfWeek" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "YearDayOfWeek", {"Year", "WeekDay"}, {"YearDayOfWeek.Year", "YearDayOfWeek.WeekDay"}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded YearDayOfWeek",{"YearDayOfWeek.Year"})
in
#"Removed Columns"

And the DAX for the lookup in tabl AM_MergeTbls

DATE = LOOKUPVALUE('Date'[Date],'Date'[Year],AB_MergedTbls[Year]//Find the Year
,'Date'[Week of Year],AB_MergedTbls[WeekNumber] //Find the Week Number
,'Date'[Day of Week],AB_MergedTbls[YearDayOfWeek.WeekDay])//Find the dayNUmber

The Nick

If the post helps please give a thumbs up || If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If it's the biggest heap of stinky smelly stuff then I'm sorry .

NickA01
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi
Can you provide a screenshot ofyour date. 
With just Year and WeekDay this would not be possible
EG Year = 2022, WeekDay = 1 (Sunday)  
This could be any Sunday within the year. 
Now, WeekDay is structured to take in a date and Returns the interger for the day  
WEEKDAY(<date>, <return_type>) -- return_type is the index for the First day of the week (by default 1 = Sunday)
Weekday ('25 May 2022',1) would return 4 as when Sunday is first day of week then Wednesday is the 4th day.
weekday ('25 May 2022',2) would return 3 as when Monday is first day of week then Wednesday is the 3rd day.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/weekday-function-dax

If you are using WeekDay, then you must have a date. 

The Nick

If the post helps please give a thumbs up || If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If it's the biggest heap of stinky smelly stuff then I'm sorry .

Yes sorry you are right, it can be any weekday of the year...

But actually I have a second table with "year" and "week number". In this date table, is it possible to retrieve the date?

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.