Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdusek92
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power Query - count across columns if condition met

Hello, 

I have a query that has employees in rows and days (1-31) in columns = 31 additional columns - pivoted. These columns contain numbers from 0 to 3. I want to add new column that will return the count of days columns (in row) that have value >0.

As a work around I replaces 0 values with null and than added a calculated column with count values option.

I guess that there will be another way how to do that by altering this generated SUM formula:

=List.Sum({[1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6], [7], [8], [9], [10], [11], [12], [13], [14], [15], [16], [17], [18], [19], [20], [21], [22], [23], [24], [25], [26], [27], [28], [29], [30], [31]})

Can anyone help?

I want to keep the original values (1;2;3) so replacing them with 1 and using SUM is not an option

also I don't want to use "brute force" by nesting multiple IFS >0.

Warm regards

Jakub Dušek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jdusek92,

You need to do some changes on your data model firstly.

1. In Power Query, select columns 1,2,3,4,5 and click Unpivot columns.

2. Filter rows with value >0

3. Click Group by with Name

In addition, you also could use Dax formula which may meet your desired output better.

After Unpivot the columns 1,2,3,4,5, click Close&Apply, then create a calculated column with the formula below.

count>0 =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( Table1[Attribute] ),
    FILTER (
        'Table1',
        'Table1'[Value] > 0
            && 'Table1'[Name] = EARLIER ( Table1[Name] )
    )
)

Here is the output.

Capture.PNG

More details, you could refer to this attachment. 

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @jdusek92,

Based on your information, I'm still a little confused about your scenario.

If it is convenient, could you share some data sample and your desired output so that I can understand your scenario better and get the solution.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello, here is a little sample.

I want to simulate the Excel Countifs formula in Power Query.

Name2345Count of >0Excel formula
John32032=4=COUNTIFS(Table1[@[1]:[5]];">0")
Alice20033=3=COUNTIFS(Table1[@[1]:[5]];">0")
Jacob12300=3=COUNTIFS(Table1[@[1]:[5]];">0")

Warm regards

Jakub

Hi @jdusek92,

You need to do some changes on your data model firstly.

1. In Power Query, select columns 1,2,3,4,5 and click Unpivot columns.

2. Filter rows with value >0

3. Click Group by with Name

In addition, you also could use Dax formula which may meet your desired output better.

After Unpivot the columns 1,2,3,4,5, click Close&Apply, then create a calculated column with the formula below.

count>0 =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( Table1[Attribute] ),
    FILTER (
        'Table1',
        'Table1'[Value] > 0
            && 'Table1'[Name] = EARLIER ( Table1[Name] )
    )
)

Here is the output.

Capture.PNG

More details, you could refer to this attachment. 

Best  Regards,

Cherry

jdusek92
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hello, 

I have a query that has employees in rows and days (1-31) in columns = 31 additional columns - pivoted. These columns contain numbers from 0 to 3. I want to add new column that will return the count of days columns (in row) that have value >0.

As a work around I replaces 0 values with null and than added a calculated column with count values option.

I guess that there will be another way how to do that by altering this generated SUM formula:

=List.Sum({[1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6], [7], [8], [9], [10], [11], [12], [13], [14], [15], [16], [17], [18], [19], [20], [21], [22], [23], [24], [25], [26], [27], [28], [29], [30], [31]})

Can anyone help?

I want to keep the original values (1;2;3) so replacing them with 1 and using SUM is not an option

also I don't want to use "brute force" by nesting multiple IFS >0.

Warm regards

Jakub Dušek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.