Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Power Query: Where and When to Apply Steps Where

Hi,

With reference to the screenshot below, when do I do data cleansing in either part of the query, I am looking into a folder with either a csv or xlsx source.

ApplySteps.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In the Transform Sample file query, you can specify the steps that will be applied to each individual source file.

That would be the prefered place to do data cleansing.

Exception: when you specify the data types in this query, these will (or may?) get lost when the tables are expanded in the main query.

However, some transformations may not be possible until all data is combined in 1 table, e.g. an overall sort.

Those steps should be added to the main query (i.c. Raw AE).

And of course any data type setting.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In the Transform Sample file query, you can specify the steps that will be applied to each individual source file.

That would be the prefered place to do data cleansing.

Exception: when you specify the data types in this query, these will (or may?) get lost when the tables are expanded in the main query.

However, some transformations may not be possible until all data is combined in 1 table, e.g. an overall sort.

Those steps should be added to the main query (i.c. Raw AE).

And of course any data type setting.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thanks for confirming that, that is how I see it as well I am just not as confident if I am correct. I am more comfortable and confident with how I'm doing it now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.