Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TimNYC
Helper I
Helper I

Power Query To Find Items Not Contained in List

I am aware of the Power Query function List.Contains() to find all items that in the list. But what I need is the opposite of that, to find all items that are not in the list. In other words, the equivaluent of SQL's "NOT IN" function. What I need is for this to return all transaction where the paycode is not "BADDEBT" or "WRITEOF"

each if [Payment] = 1 and List.Containts([paycode],"BADDEBT","WRITEOF") then "Paid" else "N/A"

Thank you,

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @TimNYC,

After I test with some sample data, I'd like to suggest you package your wrong code text as a list and compare it with 'List.ContainsAny' function in if statement to achieve your requirement.

Sample formula:

#"Added Custom"= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [Payment] <> 1 then "N/A" else if List.ContainsAny([paycode],{"BADDEBT","WRITEOF"}) then "N/A" else "Paid")

Comment:

1. 'List.contains' not able to compare with multiple values, please use 'List.containsAny' to instead. If you do not want to use other m query functions, you can write multiple 'list.contains' functions(with each wrong code) and link them with 'and' keyword.

2. 'List.contains' function will return bool result based on compare results. If you want to extract reverse results, you only need to exchange boolean expressions of your if statement. (exchange true and false expressions)

Regards,

Xiaxoin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jismo

I created a custom function for this:

let

fxParam = (x) =>

let

source = if x then false else true

in

source

in

fxParam

named it:

fxNot (name is your preference)

then call it like:

fxNot( List.Contains({"APPLES","BANANAS","GRAPES"},"APPLES")) //returns FALSE

fxNot( List.Contains({"APPLES","BANANAS","GRAPES"},"PEARS")) //returns TRUE

Parameter can be any that returns boolean 

actually you can just use the not operator like the below:

not List.Contains({"APPLES","BANANAS","GRAPES"},"APPLES") //returns FALSE

not List.Contains({"APPLES","BANANAS","GRAPES"},"PEARS")) //returns TRUE

gns100

The function (which may not have been availble when this question was originally posted) to use is:  List.Difference()

apo1979prio
Helper I
Helper I

Table.AddColumn(Step20, "VP"each if (List.Contains({"ZNLD","ZNLM"},[DOC_TYPE]) and 
    List.Contains({"500","699","800","999","PT5","PT6","PT8","PT9"},Text.Middle([#".NIF_Venda"], 33)))  then "E"
else if (List.Contains({"ZNLD","ZNLM"},[DOC_TYPE]) and 
    not(List.Contains({"500","699","800","999","PT5","PT6","PT8","PT9"},Text.Middle([#".NIF_Venda"], 33))))  then "P"
else if List.Contains({"ZTOP","ZREP","ZG2P","ZGCP"},[DOC_TYPE]) then "F"  //Frota
else null)
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @TimNYC,

After I test with some sample data, I'd like to suggest you package your wrong code text as a list and compare it with 'List.ContainsAny' function in if statement to achieve your requirement.

Sample formula:

#"Added Custom"= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [Payment] <> 1 then "N/A" else if List.ContainsAny([paycode],{"BADDEBT","WRITEOF"}) then "N/A" else "Paid")

Comment:

1. 'List.contains' not able to compare with multiple values, please use 'List.containsAny' to instead. If you do not want to use other m query functions, you can write multiple 'list.contains' functions(with each wrong code) and link them with 'and' keyword.

2. 'List.contains' function will return bool result based on compare results. If you want to extract reverse results, you only need to exchange boolean expressions of your if statement. (exchange true and false expressions)

Regards,

Xiaxoin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @TimNYC 

use not() like

each if [Payment] = 1 and not(List.Containts([paycode],"BADDEBT","WRITEOF")) then "Paid" else "N/A"

but im not sure it's correct syntax for List.Contains.

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.