Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Power Query - Problem with Decimal Conversion

Hello All,

I am loading multiple csv files using power query.

The CSV files have various columns and a few of the columns have numbers like 72.00 or 86.00.

When I load them to powerBI then the program identifies them as 7200 and 8600.

I use English (United Kingdom) as local settings.

Is there any way to successfully convert the decimal numbers to integers? Im not interested in having the decimals in the table.

A function that can ignore system locale would be ideal.

Query im using to load data is the following (it is not the whole query):

= (MkDailyCallsForAllSourceFile_template02 as any) => let
// use the template parameters 1 or 2 to check behaviour for each template
        Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents(MkDailyCallsForAllSourceFile_template02),[Delimiter=",", Columns=11, Encoding=1253, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.Csv]),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type text}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type text}, {"Column11", type text}}),
    #"Text to Number" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type",{{"InAnswered", Int64.Type}, {"InNonAnswered", Int64.Type}, {"OutAnswered", Int64.Type}, {"OutNonAnswered", Int64.Type}, {"TotalAnswered", Int64.Type}, {"TotalNonAnswered", Int64.Type}})

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @themistoklis,

I have made a test with creating a csv sample and convert the dcimal numbers to whole number, everything works as expected. I also change the locale type to UK.

You could have a test with the sample file attached below.

If it is convenient, could you share a dummy pbix file which can reproduce the issue, so that I could have a test on it in my side? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft

I used your file and it works ok but i still have issues with my PowerBi workspace.

I have put in the dropbox link below, the workspace and a folder with the csv files that i load to the report.

Dropbox

When you go to the report you will notice that on the first, second and third month the values displayed are very hight (200k +)

On the other months the maximum value is 2-3K... and it is the correct one.

If you open the csv files from the first month with notepad++ you will see that there are decimal places there. For some reason powerBI doesnt take into account these decimal places.

Is there any function that i can use which ignores the PC's locale and i can force it to use the values as integers?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.