Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

luisClive
Helper III
Helper III

Power Query Not Updating

Hi All

Need Your help

I have a simple table

Excel Sheet 1

Job Operating Unit Sum_Net Revenue  Right_Sum_Net Revenue  Daily Revenue  Daily Avg. MTD 
A                    293,839       245,410                         48              27
B                1,678,294   1,489,653                      189           153
C                    559,429       462,800                         97              51

Excel Sheet 2

Job OURevenueDaily Avg. MTDManual Column 1Manual Column 2
='Daily Rev'!A2='Daily Rev'!D2='Daily Rev'!E229.2425.67
='Daily Rev'!A3='Daily Rev'!D3='Daily Rev'!E3198.86221.1
='Daily Rev'!A4='Daily Rev'!D4='Daily Rev'!E44846.29

Excel Sheet 2  is connect to Power BI , but BI desktop not refresh new values in Excel Sheet 2 ( when my Excel Sheet 1 updates via Alteryx)?

Any reason why?

8 REPLIES 8
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Is your Excel  sheet 2 connected to a Live dataset in Power BI where the Excel sheet 1 is used?

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you explain what you mean when it updates via alteryx?

so alterx updates sheet 1
power bi is connected to excel 2?

how is this connected, please can you provide more information, its not clear what the problem is.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Basically sheet 2 is connected to Sheet 1 via a formulas

is alteryx updating at the same time you are importing it in, or have you validated that it has updated at the time you are trying to import the data in?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

yes i have validated excel has updated, but values are not reflected in BI

Hi @luisClive ,

Did you save your Excel sheet 2 after it was updated? In my testing, Excel sheet 2 is updated automatically when Excel sheet 1 is changed, but the data in power bi desktop which comes from sheet 2 won't refresh until I have saved the Excel file. When you click Refresh button in power bi desktop, it always tries to get data from the last saved file.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Yes I did save

when i open excel, I see values changed, but power query still displays OLD values.

if I connect to sheet 1 , i have no problems

when i connect to Sheet 2 ( which has simple cell linking formulas and additional columns) power bi does not update

so i am trying to understand how Power Bi Treats excel file with formulas

Additional info

Sheet 1 is constanly overwritten by Alteryx ( as and when i run it)

Hi @luisClive

When Power BI imports data from an Excel file with formulas, it will bring in columns of values calculated by the formulas. 

I use your sample data and formulas in a regular Excel workbook without using Alteryx to test this. When I click either Refresh Preview in Power Query Editor or Refresh button in Power BI Desktop, I can always see the latest data from both sheet 1 and sheet 2. Everything works well. So I'm not sure if Alteryx will have some influence on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.