Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query New Column From Access DB Fields: Date Turns Into "Binary"

Hello. I am using Power Query to bring in data to my data model from an Access database. I have three separate date fields [Date Closed], [Date Canceled], and [Date Deleted]. I am attempting to consolidate those values into one field based on another field called [Current Req Status]. To do this I created a new conditional column:

Conditional Column.png

For reasons I can't determine, this results in the field being populated with the word "Binary" in it where an actual date value should be.

Binary.png

Through testing I've isolated the problem being related to the fact that I'm linked to Access tables (this doesn't happen when I link to the same data in an Excel file) and that I have null as the "Else" value (if I change it to a regular string it works fine). I've verified that the fields in Access are defined as "Date/Time" data type. Anyone know what's going on here? I searched for information on Binary and Power Query but couldn't find a thing. Any help is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

I have made some test and I can repro your issue:

6.PNG

And I have reported this issue internally. I'll be back if I got any message.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors