Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query - Merge Error

Merge.PNGMerge2.PNG

This the is formula and PowerBI Merge tool that I am using.

However when I try to expand the generated column, I get this error.

Error.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for point that out. 

What the issue ended up being, was that the Europe and LATAM excel files (which had not been loaded yet), were giving error due to incomplete data.

I simply filtered those files out while I am waiting for the data to be be populated.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, 

Thank you for suggestions so far.

So the issue is, that the custom function "Transform File (12), is creating an extra row of error specified above.

The strange thing is that it also generates a smaple Query Table that has 126 rows (as it should) with no error, but when I invoke the custom function with the exact same code, it gives the error. 

Transform.PNG

If I use use the errorless "Transform Sample Table" will I run into any issues down the line?

Hi @Anonymous ,

can you post some information on how to perform your custom function?

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the custom function being invoked.

CustomFunct.PNG

The parameter 12 it refers to points to this binary file.

Binary.PNG

from which it extracts the following table from a sharepoint and promotes headers as such. 

CustomFunct.PNG

This function works alone.

However when invoked in another table, it spits out that error.

I think it is something to do with the fact that the Table I'm invoking it inside of essentially repeats the same initial steps to drill down the source data to the required excel file.

The steps circled in red are already being performed by the function, I will delete them and report back.

Invoke.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I could remove source as the inital step in that table and just immediately invoke the function I believe this would solve the issue, unfortunately I cannot.

Hi @Anonymous 

why you can't remove the step?

Could you post the Advance Editor M-Code?

Anonymous
Not applicable

let
Source = SharePoint.Files("www.sharepoint/xxxxxx", [ApiVersion = 15]),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each Text.Contains([Folder Path], "Data/PTP/Global PTP Dashboard/Reference Files/Freight Vendor List")),
#"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows", each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File (12)", each #"Transform File (12)"([Content])),
#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File (12)"}),
#"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File (12)", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File (12)"(#"Sample File (12)"))),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Company Code", type text}, {"Vendor code", type text}, {"Vendor", type text}, {"Freight", type text}}),
#"Removed Source.Name" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Source.Name", "Vendor"}),
#"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Removed Source.Name")
in
#"Removed Duplicates"

Ahh yes, How do I remove what is in bold and allow the Invoke Customer Function Step to be the Initial step?

Hi @Anonymous ,

First of all, we suggest you to delete the url in your reply.

Sorry for that we can not remove the source step and keep them refresh dynamic at the same time. Does the tables that you used to merge with can refresh  normally?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for point that out. 

What the issue ended up being, was that the Europe and LATAM excel files (which had not been loaded yet), were giving error due to incomplete data.

I simply filtered those files out while I am waiting for the data to be be populated.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Glad to hear that you have resolved your problem. Thank you for sharing this. If you have any other questions, please kindly ask here and we will try to resolve it.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please check if the sheet you used is still exist in the origin excel file? Please also refer to the similar threads:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Expression-Error-The-key-didn-t-match-any-rows-in-the-table/td-p/155986

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Expression-Error-The-key-did-not-match-any-rows-in-the-table/td-p/9824/page/1

14.jpg

Best regards,

Hi @Anonymous ,

i think the problem is somewhere else.

You are loading several Excel files "Query: Transform File (12)" and a sheet "Sheet2" does not meet your requirements.

The Power Query preview does not show the error, but the merge needs all the data to create the preview and shows the error in this step.

Regards,

Marcus

Dortmund - Germany
If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.