Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query M function - LOOP??

Hi,

I need to do some ETL with M function. I'm still learnig how to deal with it. Can anybody help me?

I Need to create two adittional columns [count] and [step] and fill these columns based on Rules bellow. How can I do this on power query?

thank you all

DatanumberRulesCountstep
Volume de Utilização1if 'First Record or previous [count] = 0 --> [Count]= [number] Step=010
Negócio1If previous count<>0; step = - [number]  ; [count] = previous [count] + step0-1
Notebook básico2 20
xxxxxxxxxxx1 1-1
yyyyyyyyyyy1 0-1
Acrobat Professional por equipamento1 10
xxxxxxxxxxx1 0-1
Project Professional por equipamento1 10
xxxxxxxxxxx1 0-1
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can use List.Accumulate, like in the code below.

Remark: the step values are not really required to calculate the Count, so if you don't need it for something else, you can leave "step" out.

let
    Source = Table1,
    CountAndStep = List.Skip(List.Accumulate(List.Transform(Source[number], each if _ = null then 0 else _),
                                             {[Count = 0,step = 0]},
                                             (Result, Number) => 
                                                Result & {if List.Last(Result)[Count] = 0 
                                                          then [Count = Number,                           step = 0] 
                                                          else [Count = List.Last(Result)[Count] - Number,step = -1 * Number]})),
    AddedCountAndStepToSource = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(Source)&{CountAndStep}),
    Expanded = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(AddedCountAndStepToSource, "Column3", {"Count", "step"}),
    NewTableType = Value.ReplaceType(Expanded,Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(Table.AddColumn(Source,"Count",each 0, Int64.Type),"step",each 0, Int64.Type)))
in
    NewTableType
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

The example file is empty...

Make sure that you first have your table in Power Query, next it s used in my query (in this case "Table1", adapt to tour table name).

The number must be in column "number" (all lower case).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can use List.Accumulate, like in the code below.

Remark: the step values are not really required to calculate the Count, so if you don't need it for something else, you can leave "step" out.

let
    Source = Table1,
    CountAndStep = List.Skip(List.Accumulate(List.Transform(Source[number], each if _ = null then 0 else _),
                                             {[Count = 0,step = 0]},
                                             (Result, Number) => 
                                                Result & {if List.Last(Result)[Count] = 0 
                                                          then [Count = Number,                           step = 0] 
                                                          else [Count = List.Last(Result)[Count] - Number,step = -1 * Number]})),
    AddedCountAndStepToSource = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(Source)&{CountAndStep}),
    Expanded = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(AddedCountAndStepToSource, "Column3", {"Count", "step"}),
    NewTableType = Value.ReplaceType(Expanded,Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(Table.AddColumn(Source,"Count",each 0, Int64.Type),"step",each 0, Int64.Type)))
in
    NewTableType
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @MarcelBeug,

Thanks for helping. I got an error when trying your suggestion. Can you help again?

I am attaching the file so you can have a better picture.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6oYowKqdZzqWlpOSFFWSThQYW8

I believe the error is on step "CountandStep"

Hi @Anonymous,

Did the problem get resolved? If yes, could you accept the helpful reply as solution to close this thread?

If you still have any question on this issue, feel free to post here. Smiley Happy

Regards

The example file is empty...

Make sure that you first have your table in Power Query, next it s used in my query (in this case "Table1", adapt to tour table name).

The number must be in column "number" (all lower case).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry!

I wasn't able to work on this until yesterday. The source file was missing, my intetion was to send the code.

Anyway, back to work I found out that my isseu was regarding column type on the source file. I made some adjustments and it is working!!!

thank you @MarcelBeug!!

Hi @Anonymous,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept the helpful reply as solution to close this thread? Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.