Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iKiok
Frequent Visitor

Power Query - (M code) - replace text in a column with values from a column in another query

Greetings to all,

I would like to replace many individual values in a column with values that exist in another query.

I cannot merge since I would like it to be a "text contains" replacement.

Any help with the correct "table[column]" reference to the other query would be appreciated

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Renamed Columns",Replacements[original],(Replacements[replacement],Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Activity"})

4 REPLIES 4
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @iKiok 

Can you provide a data sample?

Thanks
Mariusz

iKiok
Frequent Visitor

@Mariusz here is the data in 2 queries. Normally I would run 20 steps of "Replace Value", so now I am looking to make it happen a bit faster and easier

Column where values need to be replacedColumn where values need to be replacedReplacements TableReplacements Table

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @iKiok,

is there any chance you could prepare a sample of data that preserves the logic of your data and is easy to copy and work with?

Many Thanks

Mariusz

iKiok
Frequent Visitor

@Mariusz 

https://makiosgr-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/ikiokpas_makios_gr/EdYzUDAZuL9Dmh3ifrvtGSEByAL5fAA...

so, Query Logs - Column Activity, normally i would run 17 steps to replace (text contains) text from Activity Column with other text.

now I have created another Table (Query - Replacements) and I would like to do the replacements with something like

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Renamed Columns", each Replacements[original],each(Replacements[replacement],Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Activity"})

meaning that I would like to read the column from the other query and do the replacements in the Log query.

Is that possible (reading a column from another query)? 

If yes, could you please help me with the syntax?

thank you in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.