cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Re: Power Query: List.Max doesn't work on Date

How do i do this with an Column of type Int? There is no such thing as a list item in the dropdown i can transform this too.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Power Query: List.Max doesn't work on Date

This has been answered but the steps are not fully clear, for the New Power BI User I will break down the solution:

There currently is NO data type of "List", just make sure you have the column as Data or Number.

Here is where the confusing part comes in as the actual "List.Max()" function isnt complete in syntax you either have to know exactly how to code it or you need to make an adjustment in Advanced Editor Section to manualy type in the previous Query Step Name as "Table" reference.

I create a new Column I type the following in the column formual page "=List.Max({INSERT COLUMN NAME})" Add Column 

THEN I go into Advanced Editor and Copy the Query Name from the prior step in the front of my INSERTED COLUMN NAME.

BEFORE:   

#"Changed column type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Navigation, {{"ci_item_time", type date}}),  #"Added custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed column type", "Custom", each List.Max([ci_item_time]))

AFTER:   

#"Changed column type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Navigation, {{"ci_item_time", type date}}),

#"Added custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed column type", "Custom", each List.Max(#"Changed column type"[ci_item_time]))

NOW if you knew what your prior Query Step name was you could have manually coded this into the New Column Formula statement like List.Max(#"Changed column type"[ci_item_time]) I hope this clears up any confusion on this Topic.

E I L O O P

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors