Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query - Insert a new row summing row values for addition columns

Hi,

My starting point is:

Division         Grouping        Value      Target       MValue       MTarget
North             Refund             2              4                5                  6
North             Rebate             4              2                5                  5
North             Cash                4               4                4                  4
South             Refund            8               1                3                  7
South             Rebate            2               3                4                  11
South             Cash               3               2                 3                 2

I require the end result to look like:
Division         Grouping        Value      Target       MValue       MTarget
North             Refund             2              4                5                   6
North             Rebate             4              2                 5                   5
North             Cash                4               4                4                   4
South             Refund             8               1                3                  7
South             Rebate             2               3                4                  11
South             Cash                3               2                 3                  2

North             GP                   6               6                 10                11
South             GP                   10             4                 7                  11

As you can see I require an additional row inserted for each division (there are many more divisions in my real data) with the value of 'GP' present in the Grouping column for that new row and the Value, Target, MValue, MTarget column values to be a sum of the 'Refund' and 'Rebate' Grouping values.

Please can someone help me achieve this?
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please take a look at the attached file to see all the detailed steps, but here's a quick overview:

1. Load the data ( I just took what you posted here, but had to some manual splitting, so the first 2/3 of the applied steps are that)
  2. Duplicate the querry ( I named it GP_Grouping)
  3. Filter out rows you dont want to sum ( though probably better to say the rows you want to keep, but for now it just takes the rows where grouping <> Cash"
  4. Grouped the rows by Division, and then added columns for the Sum of the four columns
  5. Add a custom column with the name Grouping and the values GP
  6. Go back to the original table and append it with the GP_Grouping table

Final Table:

Final Table.png

Here's the file:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoQIGRpzoxRHgbxBe-I0NdRAmrMPhg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please take a look at the attached file to see all the detailed steps, but here's a quick overview:

1. Load the data ( I just took what you posted here, but had to some manual splitting, so the first 2/3 of the applied steps are that)
  2. Duplicate the querry ( I named it GP_Grouping)
  3. Filter out rows you dont want to sum ( though probably better to say the rows you want to keep, but for now it just takes the rows where grouping <> Cash"
  4. Grouped the rows by Division, and then added columns for the Sum of the four columns
  5. Add a custom column with the name Grouping and the values GP
  6. Go back to the original table and append it with the GP_Grouping table

Final Table:

Final Table.png

Here's the file:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoQIGRpzoxRHgbxBe-I0NdRAmrMPhg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous   Much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.