Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query - IF function related to a table (Parameters??)

Hello everyone, 

I´ve been working around but i don´t have enought M knowledge. 

I want to categorize some of my products depending on which text they contains. Until here i am doing that with the conditional feature of PowerQuery (same as If). But at the end it works as a table of two columns where if you find A  give me B. 

My question es , can i do that with Power query and one table in Excel? It would be really helpful because if i can do that i can give the hability of categorization to my end user. 

Thank you in advance!! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

If I interpret your information correctly, you want to use a lookup table.

After Table1 and table Categories are loaded in Power Query (connection only), the following query adds a column to table Table1 with the category from table Categories:

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Category", (x) => Text.Combine(Table.SelectRows(Categories, each Text.Contains(x[SomeText],[TextPart],Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase))[Category],", "))
in
    #"Added Custom"

The texts are compared case-insensitive; in case a text contains multiple TextParts, it will get all associated categories,

Examples:

If function related to a table.png

No Category found for Sean.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

You can extend the formula with List.Distinct.

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Category", (x) => Text.Combine(List.Distinct(Table.SelectRows(Categories, each Text.Contains(x[SomeText],[TextPart],Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase))[Category]),", "))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Remark: the close parenthesis for List.Distinct is behind "[Category]"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

If I interpret your information correctly, you want to use a lookup table.

After Table1 and table Categories are loaded in Power Query (connection only), the following query adds a column to table Table1 with the category from table Categories:

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Category", (x) => Text.Combine(Table.SelectRows(Categories, each Text.Contains(x[SomeText],[TextPart],Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase))[Category],", "))
in
    #"Added Custom"

The texts are compared case-insensitive; in case a text contains multiple TextParts, it will get all associated categories,

Examples:

If function related to a table.png

No Category found for Sean.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello MarcelBeug,

Everything works perfect, it helps me to avoid a lot of manual stuff... 

I have one more question about it. I want to avoid the ones which the categorization is duplicated. I have several Key_Words for each category and sometimes they have more than one. 

I.e: Neobaron is categorized as Visitor, Visitor. is there any way to avoid that? For the ones that the categorization is different is fine, but i want to avoid the ones those are duplicated. .

Again thank you, 

You can extend the formula with List.Distinct.

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Category", (x) => Text.Combine(List.Distinct(Table.SelectRows(Categories, each Text.Contains(x[SomeText],[TextPart],Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase))[Category]),", "))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Remark: the close parenthesis for List.Distinct is behind "[Category]"

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are genius!!!! 
And your remark was great too Smiley Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much!! It is perfect, i will try to modify your code to add it directly to table one. And your coderis better because i am getting more categories than one. I bought M is for Data Monkey. do you know where i could learn more about M? Thank you in advance! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.