Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Afiq_Danial
Helper II
Helper II

Power Query - Getting Shortform

Hi,

I have a table that looks like this right now:

Afiq_Danial_0-1669867834333.png

Some of the certificates name has short forms while others dont. I want to create a new column in power query which only take the texts in the bracket. For the certificate that does not has any shortform in the brackets, i want it to show the full name in the new column. I have to do it in power query (something that im still learning)
What i want my table to look like is this:

Afiq_Danial_2-1669868013479.png

This is the file: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ojdvJSwOLTcF7c_e58bNLjeUo92aQO_O?usp=share_link

Thank you, Appreciate the help I'm getting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@Afiq_Danial 

you can try this

if Text.PositionOf([certificate],"(") <1 then [certificate] else Text.Middle([certificate], Text.PositionOf([certificate],"(") +1,Text.PositionOf([certificate],")") -Text.PositionOf([certificate],"(")-1 )

1.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sandeephijam
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Afiq_Danial 

Try the above formula by changing the "c" on certificate as "C" it works and give you the result that you are looking for.

Re-sharing the command again here with update :

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if Text.PositionOf([Certificate],"(") <1 then [Certificate] else Text.Middle([Certificate], Text.PositionOf([Certificate],"(") +1,Text.PositionOf([Certificate],")") -Text.PositionOf([Certificate],"(")-1 ))

Capture45.JPG

ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@Afiq_Danial 

you can try this

if Text.PositionOf([certificate],"(") <1 then [certificate] else Text.Middle([certificate], Text.PositionOf([certificate],"(") +1,Text.PositionOf([certificate],")") -Text.PositionOf([certificate],"(")-1 )

1.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.