Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HenryJS
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Power Query: Filter to Latest Date Row

Hi all,

How can I filter to only show the row with the latest date for each externalid below?

So only the row with 07/05/2022 for 3929 would show as it is the latest date.

HenryJS_0-1644325414344.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HenryJS ,

Base data:

vluwangmsft_0-1646211144154.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjazNFDSUXLNLcjJr0wtUvDJTEzKzMksqVTwzCsuLUrMS04FShsZGBnpm+obGivF6gD1WBpZAgUDivLTUouLM/PzEnOAqlNSc/Nw6DNH1obXBuJUGkJUxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [externalid = _t, doctype = _t, Expiry = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"externalid", Int64.Type}, {"doctype", type text}, {"Expiry", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"externalid"}, {{"allrows",each Table.AddIndexColumn(
        Table.Sort(_,{{"Expiry", 
        Order.Ascending}}), "Row Rank",1,1),  each _, type table [externalid=nullable number, doctype=nullable text, Expiry=nullable date]}}),
    #"Expanded allrows" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "allrows", {"externalid", "doctype", "Expiry", "Row Rank"}, {"allrows.externalid", "allrows.doctype", "allrows.Expiry", "allrows.Row Rank"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded allrows", each ([allrows.Row Rank] = 1))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Final output:

vluwangmsft_1-1646211198517.png

refer:

https://data-witches.com/2020/10/21/adding-a-row-rank-based-on-a-different-column-with-power-query/ 

Best Regards
Lucien

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AdHuikeshoven

The currently accepted solution depends on modifyin M code in the advanced editor. This is not necessary. The way to do it is to group on doctype and aggregate on the Max of Expiry, add an aggregate level called expansion and select all rows. Next step is to expand and add a conditional column with name "Latest?". Compare column Expiry with column Max of Expiry, and if equal, enter "latest", otherwise "null". Filter column "Latest?" on "latest". If necessary you can delete columns "Max of Expiry" and "Latest?", and you are done.

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HenryJS ,

Base data:

vluwangmsft_0-1646211144154.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjazNFDSUXLNLcjJr0wtUvDJTEzKzMksqVTwzCsuLUrMS04FShsZGBnpm+obGivF6gD1WBpZAgUDivLTUouLM/PzEnOAqlNSc/Nw6DNH1obXBuJUGkJUxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [externalid = _t, doctype = _t, Expiry = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"externalid", Int64.Type}, {"doctype", type text}, {"Expiry", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"externalid"}, {{"allrows",each Table.AddIndexColumn(
        Table.Sort(_,{{"Expiry", 
        Order.Ascending}}), "Row Rank",1,1),  each _, type table [externalid=nullable number, doctype=nullable text, Expiry=nullable date]}}),
    #"Expanded allrows" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "allrows", {"externalid", "doctype", "Expiry", "Row Rank"}, {"allrows.externalid", "allrows.doctype", "allrows.Expiry", "allrows.Row Rank"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded allrows", each ([allrows.Row Rank] = 1))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Final output:

vluwangmsft_1-1646211198517.png

refer:

https://data-witches.com/2020/10/21/adding-a-row-rank-based-on-a-different-column-with-power-query/ 

Best Regards
Lucien

Rygaard
Resolver I
Resolver I

on your document table make a new colum.

where you write True/false  pr line if this is the latest date for this External ID.

New colum:

Max_date_by_esternal_ID =

IF( 

calculate(Max(Document[Date], filter(document, Document[ExternalID], Earlier([Document[ExternalID])))=Document[Date] ,

True(),

False()

)

the EARLIER will take the External ID from the Line it is currently on and use that as a filter to get the max date

NOW you  have a TRUE / False Column you can use as a filter

Mine look like this and work

2022-02-08 16_09_59-#Master - Power BI Desktop.png

so you would get 3 True lines

since external id 3929 has 2 Expiry dates that are both the latest date avaliable for that Id

serpiva64
Super User
Super User

Hi,

if you want to filter in power query:

serpiva64_0-1644327933382.png

and it's done.

If this post isuseful to help you to solve your issue consider giving the post a thumbs up and accepting it as a solution !

Sorry, 

i didn't understand your question.

If you are able to post some sample data (to do this you can select the colums and with right click select copy and then paste here)  i think it is possible

@serpiva64 this only returns the latest date for doctype column

it does not return latest doctype for each externalid

how can i do this in Power Query?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try something similar

CALCULATE (
    MAX ( calendertable[Date] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( calendertable[Date] ),
        salestable[TotalSales]>0
    )
))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors