Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

galbatrox9
Helper I
Helper I

Power Query - Error while rounding off time

Hi Team,

I wanted to round off my time column into the nearest hour in Power Query and it worked for most of the data, but about 20% of the data has errors now and I am not able to understand why. 

Here's a snapshot and this is the code I used : Time.From(Number.Round(Number.From([IST Time])*24)/24)

Capture.JPG

Can anyone help me understand how to fix this? Or suggest a better code to use.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well you can use the DAX to create a caluclated column on your original table or recreate the table as a visual and add a column for the measure. Should make it fairly easy to determine if there were any errors.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @galbatrox9 

You don't have to use DAX for this. I would just duplicate the column, retitle it, and then in query editor change the format to HH under the Transform tab. See this article for more information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/custom-date-and-time-formats-for-the-format-function

If this helps please kudo.

If this answers your question please accept it as a solution.

Hi @Tad17 ,

Thats neat, but what if i wanted to round to the nearest hour? In your way, 10:45 PM would be converted to 10 PM, but i want it to come to 11 PM.

My bad. I forgot formatting doesn't round. In that case you were on the right track. The answer you're looking for is in this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-round-minutes-in-time-to-the-nearest-hour/td-p/47643...

Haha the code I used was exactly from that link! But its giving me errors on some lines.

Haha I see that now. Have you tried the DAX solution instead of the M option?

If it has to be M try this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Round-Down-to-Nearest-30-Minute-Interval-Query-Editor/td-p/...

I just tried the Dax solution. Do you know a way to check if there are errors in that? From the filter dropdown, i cant see any errors. @Tad17 

Well you can use the DAX to create a caluclated column on your original table or recreate the table as a visual and add a column for the measure. Should make it fairly easy to determine if there were any errors.

Only concern with this is I believe it makes it based on a 24 hour clock and I'm not sure how to convert it to 12 hour if that is what you need.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.