Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query Error / Bug ?

Hi,

I'm having an issue I can't really figure out.

I have a query statement that basically adds 8 conditional columns to an existing table through nested IF statements.

I'm however having a problem when I try to remove unused columns before loading to Desktop.

As soon as I apply a "Remove Other Columns" or "Remove Columns" step, then PQ throws a "We cannot convert the value null to type Logical:" error.

However, if I simply try to load all columns in the query, then it loads just fine without errors. Equally I can just fine do a "Group By" on the columns I want to load, without PQ throwing an error.

The problem is caused by a conditional column using a mixture of "If larger than" / "if equal to" and "if equal to" with a bunch or "or" statements attached. I tried to isolate the problem, and it seems that the problem is caused by a "larger than" logic.

Checked all columns in the "larger than" logic, and all of them are formated as decimal numbers.

To error check I tried to check each column seperately but all of them throws the error. Additionally I tried to run it on just a sample of the dataset (top 20 rows) and I still get the error.

Then I thought it might be Query Folding messing with me, so I tried to convert the format of all conditional columns to Text and then do the "Remove Other Columns" afterwards, but that still throws the same error.

To make things worse, I copied my query from another PBIX file where it seems to run fine.

Anyone have a clue to what's going on, as I can load all columns just fine?

Thanks in advance

/Barslund

3 REPLIES 3
BobBI
Resolver III
Resolver III

In your conditional Columns make first condition as

if field value = Null then null , followed by another condition.

Try this , i might help.

conditional column.JPG

Good Luck

SS

Anonymous
Not applicable

How you elaborate how that should help?

I've shortend the query statement, and this is the isolated part that's causing problems when I try to remove columns / do other changes.

#"Added Messi" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Messi", "Messi", each 
                    if [Goals_Scored] > 0 then "Awesome" else
                    if [Minutes_Played] > 0 then "Awesome" else
                    if [Hattricks] > 0 then "Awesome" else
                    if [Assigned_Club] = "Barcelona" then "Awesome" else
                    if [Assigned Position] = "CF" or   
                        [Is_injured] = "Yes" 
                        then "Unavaliable"
                    else "No Input")

The only logical explanation I can get to, is that there must be some problem in my , [Goals_Scored] , [Minutes_Played] or [Hattricks] column. But since it doesn't return this error when I load all columns, then it doesn't make sense to me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, to make things more weird...

I removed my "top 20" row step in the start of my steps and now I can remove columns just fine, however...

If I try to apply a "Extract First Characters" step to one column then the error reappears.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.