Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoyCornerstone
Resolver II
Resolver II

Power Query Editor Decimal Issue on Text Field

I am bringing in an excel spreadsheet with job numbers. The job numbers in Excel are of type "Text."  Samples include:

On the Power Query editor they are set to come in as Text  - but when they come in, they come in as

etc.

I have 5 tables with this data and I want to join a relationship with the data - but am wary that since some of them are coming in incorrectly, they might not match up. How can I resolve this?

Thanks ahead of time for your ideas.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@JoyCornerstone,

Please ensure that you have set the data type of the numbers to Text correctly in Excel. I make a test using your sample data by directly coping and pasting them to Excel as below.

3.PNG

When I disable Type of detection option in Power BI Desktop, the data come in as follows.

1.PNG5.PNG

When I enable the type detection option in Power BI Desktop, the job numbers will be automatically changed to decimal number in Power BI Desktop query editor. I then delete the change type step in Query Editor, the job numbers are as below.

2.PNG4.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Just wanted to leave this here for others how might find it later.  It took some work, but I was able to change my Excel columns to Text using the TEXT function in Excel.  

Once you have linked them into PowerBi, the only way to get them to really be Text is to use the TEXT function in Excel. Then they will all read into the PowerBI successfully.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@JoyCornerstone,

Please ensure that you have set the data type of the numbers to Text correctly in Excel. I make a test using your sample data by directly coping and pasting them to Excel as below.

3.PNG

When I disable Type of detection option in Power BI Desktop, the data come in as follows.

1.PNG5.PNG

When I enable the type detection option in Power BI Desktop, the job numbers will be automatically changed to decimal number in Power BI Desktop query editor. I then delete the change type step in Query Editor, the job numbers are as below.

2.PNG4.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks. I can see how that will fix it.  Unfortunately I built a bunch of visualizations before I noticed this, and while I can see this fix work in a new PowerBI file, it doesn't seem to work in my old file- even if I bring it in as a new data source.  Frustrating.....but thank you.

@JoyCornerstone,

Could you please share the original excel and PBIX file for me to test? You can share the files via Private message.

Regards,
Lydia

Just wanted to leave this here for others how might find it later.  It took some work, but I was able to change my Excel columns to Text using the TEXT function in Excel.  

Once you have linked them into PowerBi, the only way to get them to really be Text is to use the TEXT function in Excel. Then they will all read into the PowerBI successfully.

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft but it would be faster for me to just re-do it then clear out the private data our client would require before I could send it over.  

Thanks for your help though!  Joy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.