Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

davidwhite83
Frequent Visitor

Power Query CSV File is not in a usable format

I am currently working with a CSV file that our company recieves where portions of the data are not on the same row as the invoice number, date, and other information. If it was a small file I could use excel formulas to copy the information down under it reaches the next invoice number but this is rather cumbersome and looking for an alternative work around to be do this automaticly after the setup is complete.

Below is a screen shot of the data.

Screen Shot.png

I need the RONUMBER, ROCLOSED, ETC. to be on the same line as the OpCode (i.e. 52HOZ01).

After I have formatted the information properly than I can use in PowerBI for great visualizations.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @davidwhite83 
One more step. In those columns that have blanks rather than null, you have to highlight the column and perform Find and Replace. Leave the Find box empty and then type null into the lower box. All lowercase, no quotes. This should do it.  What is strange is that just typing it into your source table does not work.  Let me know how this goes.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @davidwhite83 ,
If I understand correctly, starting from the bottom, you have a set of rows that you wish to align with the lower set of values. When you bring the file into Power Query there should be some null values. By going to the Transform tab, and clicking Fill Down, you will be able to fill in those lower rows. Then going back to the Home tab, Remove Rows, Remove Top Rows you will be able clean up the file.  Check out M is for Data Monkey by @KenPuls . A great book for all this sort of clean up and more.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathanielpq123.PNG

pq12.PNG

pq1.PNG

It works on the number portion of the file but not with names.Screen Shot.png

Hi @davidwhite83 
One more step. In those columns that have blanks rather than null, you have to highlight the column and perform Find and Replace. Leave the Find box empty and then type null into the lower box. All lowercase, no quotes. This should do it.  What is strange is that just typing it into your source table does not work.  Let me know how this goes.

Nathaniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.