Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ammartino44
Helper III
Helper III

Power Bi vs. Data Warehouse

Hello. Everyone says that a data warehouse and Power Bi are complementary and that the better you get with Bi the more a data warehouse can be put to good use. I almost see that Power BI is a replacement for a data warehouse, no? If you have databases with the data, can't you just get the queries that you need from those database directly into power BI?  I guess the only issue would be the amount of data that you can work with is more in a data warehouse tool (Pentaho). Even the creation of metrics is much more flexible in power bi. In our data warehouse, a lot of the output is at the summary level. I guess we can adapt the warehouse but every iteration seems to take a lot of time. Thoughts? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@ammartino44 we're doing exactly that using power bi on top of data warehouse. Good thing is power bi has ability of DirectQuery feature which means power bi connects live to your data source and doesn't import any data from the warehouse as data warehouse has millions of rows of records. I would suggest you use DQ feature of power bi and connect straight to data warehouse and that would also eliminate your problem of memory issues.

View solution in original post

Hi @ammartino44,

Power BI is cloud-based business analytics service that enables anyone to visualize and analyze data. In my opinion, the ultimate goal of Power BI is to visualize data. It's not a full replacement of data warehouse. But Power BI desktop also provide features for us to model and shape data:

Modeling

Power BI for Data Modelling

By the way, the big difference between DirectQuery and Import mode is no data is imported or copied into Power BI Desktop in DirectQuery mode. For more information, please refer to this article: Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.