Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Umidjon
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi speed

Hi, 

I have faced with difficulities while using Power Bi Pro version. In our company we use Microsoft Access Database. And I connected Power Bi to Microsoft Access Database. Our data is so big(more than 1 million rows). It takes time when I import data from Access to Power Bi. In addition, power query performs very slowly. I know that Power Bi has some limitations. It cannot work with huge data. My question is how can I improve power bi speed? If I change my Access database to MySQL, the speed will increase or it does not change ? Do you know any ways which overcome my issue ? 

Please help !

Thank in advance 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Other sources could be faster for sure (and would give you the option to use Direct Query too), but you could also consider taking the refresh offline by publishing your model and setting up scheduled refresh on the dataset.  That way you can connect to the published dataset, especially now that we have composite models for datasets so you can add in other data sources if needed.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Umidjon 

According to your description, you said that your data source has more than 1 million rows. Import mode is not very suitable for you in this situation. My suggestion is to try to use the direct query mode to connect to Power BI or composite models that contain import and direct query. Of course, composite models can be the best way to achieve a balance between refresh speed and query time.

The fundamental approach to composite models is to set import mode for dimension-type tables and set DirectQuery fact-type tables from the same source. You can learn from this document to get the composite model guidance in Power BI Desktop:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/composite-model-guidance

One example of using composite models in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Umidjon 

According to your description, you said that your data source has more than 1 million rows. Import mode is not very suitable for you in this situation. My suggestion is to try to use the direct query mode to connect to Power BI or composite models that contain import and direct query. Of course, composite models can be the best way to achieve a balance between refresh speed and query time.

The fundamental approach to composite models is to set import mode for dimension-type tables and set DirectQuery fact-type tables from the same source. You can learn from this document to get the composite model guidance in Power BI Desktop:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/composite-model-guidance

One example of using composite models in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Other sources could be faster for sure (and would give you the option to use Direct Query too), but you could also consider taking the refresh offline by publishing your model and setting up scheduled refresh on the dataset.  That way you can connect to the published dataset, especially now that we have composite models for datasets so you can add in other data sources if needed.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.