Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sarath5140
Helper I
Helper I

Power Bi parameter for Azure Data explorer Query

Hi Community,

Do you know if there is a way that I could use Paramter in Power BI for my Azure Data explorer query

I have a simple ADL query like this:

TableA | where category in ('A','B','C','D')

Now, I would like to replace Category values with Parameter that I need to get these values from different datasource and Table.

I have my sql db and Table like 

TypeCategory
EmployeeA
EmployeeA
EmployeeA
ManagerB
ManagerB
ManagerB
ManagerB
StaffC
StaffC
StaffC
SecurityD

Now in my ADL query where clause I need to pass these sql table Category values as parameter .I am using Import mode in Power BI and custom ADL for my sources. And help on this would be appreciated.

Example :- 

TableA | where category in (select distinct Category from Sql table)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-yuta-msft 

Finally, I am able to get my output using M power query syntax instead of going with query parameters. Because query parameters doesn't allow multiple values selection and this is the limitation with dynamic query parameter so I used power query to acheieve the same.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sarath5140 ,

I would suggest you to use Query Parameter, you may refer to blogs below:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/deep-dive-into-query-parameters-and-power-bi-templates/

https://biinsight.com/power-bi-desktop-query-parameters-part-1/

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuta-msft 

Finally, I am able to get my output using M power query syntax instead of going with query parameters. Because query parameters doesn't allow multiple values selection and this is the limitation with dynamic query parameter so I used power query to acheieve the same.

Thanks for your help!

Hi @v-yuta-msft 

Any update on below query?

Thanks

Hi @v-yuta-msft 

Thanks for your reply and posts. I have tried the same in my query parameter but my problem is in my power query I need to use the IN condition for my parameter values beacuse I have multiple Category column values. 

Example :-

= let Source = [Query=[#"csl"="TableA | where Category in ("""&ServiceParameter&""")"

but this is not working for me beacuse it is considering only single value that is the current value which is "A". 

Capture.JPG

I should be able to pass all the values in the query parameter like TableA | where Category in ("A","B","C","D")

Can you please help me how to acheive this.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors