Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kent1341
Helper I
Helper I

Power Bi model and Dataset in seperat enviorements

Hi

I'm working in an industry where most players buy data from a 3ed party/data supplier as a service. The data supplier is "renting" the data to their customers, so, therefore, there is an agreement that the customers cannot share the data outside their organization.

On the other hand - I have a Power Bi model that I would like to offer to the market also by renting it to my customers. But I would like to keep control over the model and not sell it as I'm afraid that It will start traveling out of my control.

So the problem is a follows: My customers have the data - but cannot share it will me, and I have the data model and cannot share it with them.

Question: Is there a way where I can keep control over the Power BI model and share it with my customers without having the dataset in my environment? Or Maby the question is: Is there a way where my customer can share a dataset in their environment with a model in my environment?

I hope someone can help!

Br K

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jtownsend21
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

In terms of technical ability to do what you are trying to accomplish, I am not aware of a solution. However,  a much simpler method might be a simple NDA. In a previous job, we were able to share millions of customers data to contractors who developed a salesforce environment for us using an NDA. 

View solution in original post

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Kent1341,

So the problem is a follows: My customers have the data - but cannot share it will me, and I have the data model and cannot share it with them.

Question: Is there a way where I can keep control over the Power BI model and share it with my customers without having the dataset in my environment? Or Maby the question is: Is there a way where my customer can share a dataset in their environment with a model in my environment? 

So your requirement is not want to cache the dataset in power bi on your side, right? You can connect to your customer's data source with Direct Query/Live Connection mode. To learn more details about theses connection modes, you can refer to documentation below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Kent1341,

So your requirement is not want to cache the dataset in power bi on your side, right? You can connect to your customer's data source with Direct Query/Live Connection mode. To learn more details about theses connection modes, you can refer to documentation below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

jtownsend21
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

In terms of technical ability to do what you are trying to accomplish, I am not aware of a solution. However,  a much simpler method might be a simple NDA. In a previous job, we were able to share millions of customers data to contractors who developed a salesforce environment for us using an NDA. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.