Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JP8991
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power Bi for a small Business Model

Hello,

I am thinking of setting up my own analytics business and doing some work on the side for small companies using Power Bi.

The idea being each company I do work for I would create a workspace which only they would be able to view. With each project I complete I would be aiming for it to be automatically refreshed and handled in the service leaving me more or less hands off.

In my friendship group I have a few people that already have small to medium business and I would start off doing some BA/Reporting work for them for free just to get an understanding of what is possible.

I would like to know;

• Is the above possible?
  • What would be the ideal environment for my customers to be using regarding data storage?
    • LAN Storage/Cloud/Sharepoint?
  • Whether my customers would need Gateways setup? I am guessing this would only be required if using LAN?
  • Which subscription model I would need to make this work?
  • Which subscription model my customers would need?

Any help would be great, thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

With what you are describing you would need a Pro license for each customer unless you get a Premium instance, which is probably a little steep starting out. Ideally data would be in the cloud, then your customers wouldn't need gateways.

Good luck, a buddy of mine just sold his Power BI based business, Construction BI.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks so much @Greg_Deckler.

Yes, I would certainly only want to go Pro at this stage.

Just so I am clear:

• I would setup a Pro license for myself.
  • Setup an Office 365 Premium Account with Sharepoint.
  • Create a Workspace for each Client/Business.
  • I am guessing this will create a Sharepoint Workspace too.
  • Ensure they setup a Power BI Pro license.
  • Grant each Client/Business access to their corresponding Workspace.
  • All Databases/Excel files for each Client/Business stored in Sharepoint.

Thanks,

JP8991
Advocate II
Advocate II

Sorry, I still need some help with this one if anyone has anything they can add.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I realise that this is from a while ago - did you ever set us your SME Power BI consultancy? we are a software company that promotes the use of Power BI for some of the reporting against our CRM (we host on Azure and offer connections with tokens via OData. It would be useful to have a (paid) resource that we could offer to our customers for their Power Bi reporting requirements - can you contact me if you are interested in discussing this? Thanks

@Anonymous 

Have sent you a message.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@JP8991 good luck with your business. There are many questions but one thing you have to keep in mind licensing cost.

There are many ways you can achieve it, bit hard to explain but if you want , we can schedule a time to go over it and I can share some ideas.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

That would be great, I am more than happy to go through through it with you.

@JP8991 shoot me an email, and we can schedule something. My email is in my signature. Good luck!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k  are you getting my emails?

@JP8991 Hey sorry didn't see any email from you. May be somehow going into my spam. 

@parry2k ahhh ok that is strange must have sent you at least 3. I am keen to discuss my options with you.

What is the best way to discuss?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.