cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcuros Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi desktop : unable to connect to SSAS

I can't connect to SSAS from powerbi desktop. I get an error "The user was not authorized".

It works from excel on the same computer

11 REPLIES 11
Super User
Super User

Re: Power Bi desktop : unable to connect to SSAS

Can you turn on tracing and see what is up? File | Options | Options and settings | Diagnostics | Enable Tracing. Run the query, get the failure, check the trace folder.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

mcuros Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. 

The error is "Logon failure: unknown user name or password".  Maybe the problem is because the computer is not in the domain? 

If I select "Connect live" then the error is "We could not connect to the analysis services server because the connection timed out or the server name is incorrect."

If I select "Import data" and try to log in with Alternate credentials I get "The user was not authorized."  

Is there anything else I need to do ? And why is it working with the excel ? 

Super User
Super User

@mcuros - Are you using Power Query in Excel or no?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

mcuros Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I tried PowerQuery and it does not work ..

It only works in excel -> data

Super User
Super User

OK, wanted to verify since Excel Power Query and Desktop should essentially use the same technology. Next question, Multidimensional or Tabular? And, are you connectiving Live or Import?

If multidimensional, does the server meet these requirements:

• Servers must be running SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4 or later versions of Analysis Services for the Power BI Desktop SSAS MD connector to work properly
  • Only Enterprise and Business Intelligence editions of SQL Server are supported for MD connectivity
  • Display Folder, Cell level Formatting, KPI Trends, and translation features are not supported in this release of SSAS MD. These features will be enabled in upcoming releases of Power BI Desktop.

If Tabular, are you running an Enterprise Gateway or the old Analysis Services Gateway?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-analysis-services-tabular-data/

Proud to be a Datanaut!

mcuros Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I'm using tabular model with the old Analysis Services Gateway.    I tried to install an Enterprise Gateway but I can't because AD is on the same server. So im  stucked with the old one for now.

I have no problem connecting to the service from the online powerBi

Super User
Super User

The Enterprise Gateway can be on any machine that can see your SSAS server.  It doesn't have to be the SSAS server.  It will help if it is but not essential.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Highlighted
fbrossard Member

How is configure your excel connection when it works (windows authent, or have you specified a user login+password)
Try to launch a sql sever profiler onto your ssas md instance in order to :
- control that the connection demand arrive to your instance
- view the returned error if the open session fails
adild2k Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I am getting the same error. "We could not connect to the Analysis Services server because the connection timed out or the server name is incorrect", although i can connect through Excel 2010. Please help.