Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

user0099
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi Report Server licensing

Hi

My company has SQL Server Enterprise license and we want to deploy and use Power BI Report Server. There are SQL Server cluster with Enterprise license and separate BI server.  We have two important questions about licensing:

1. Should Power BI Report Server be deployed on same physical server with SQL Server Enterprise license ? Or it is possible to deploy Power Bi Report Server on separate physical server. We want to deploy it on BI server.
  2. How many instances of Power BI Report Server we can deploy with one SQLServer Enterprise license?

I didn't find answers at these questions neither in documentation neither in forum.

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @user0099

Just to confirm that you do have SQL Server Enterprise with Software Assurance? Not trying to ruin your party, but rather want to ensure that you have got the correct licensing.

Then with regards to how many instances you can install, the licensing will work the same as it would be with if you wanted to install another SQL Server component on another piece of hardware. If that was the case then you would need additional CPU licenses on the additional hardware.

So if you install Power BI Report server on the same physical server (Cluster or BI Server) then you would be licensed. And as far as I am aware and I could be corrected it once again falls into the same bucket as if you wanted to install multiple SQL Server Reporting Services on the same physical server, if you have Enterprise licensing I think there is a limit or it might be based on your hardware handing the load.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @user0099,

1. According to this article: Hardware and software requirements for installing Power BI Report Server. It's able to install the {Power BI report server on the same physical server with SQL Server Enterprise license or BI server.

2. As the issue related to license, I would suggest you contact the sales here: https://info.microsoft.com/pbi-premium-contactme.html

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.