Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

holger_d
Regular Visitor

Power Bi Pro features turned on - not possible to turn off again

Hi everyone,

I used to have a PBIX that worked fine when I loaded it up.

Then I played around with "Manage Roles" and "View as Roles" in Power BI Desktop.

I uploaded the dataset again and Power BI online told me that I would require to upgrade to Power Bi Pro.

So back to Power BI Desktop - I deleted the roles and loaded the dataset again.

Hmmm - online it's still telling me I need Power BI Pro?!

How do I revert successfully?

Thanks,

Holger

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@holdger_d

i think you also need to remove any report or dashboard from service and then redeploy pbix file.

View solution in original post

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @holger_d,

I test the scenario as yours and everything works well. After you delete roles in Power BI Desktop, please save the report and republish the pbix file(as shown in the following screenshots), then it should work as expected.
Capture111.PNG
Capture11111.PNG

In addition, you can also choose to try the 60-day free trial of Power BI Pro, with it, you are able to configure RLS for your dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @holger_d,

I test the scenario as yours and everything works well. After you delete roles in Power BI Desktop, please save the report and republish the pbix file(as shown in the following screenshots), then it should work as expected.
Capture111.PNG
Capture11111.PNG

In addition, you can also choose to try the 60-day free trial of Power BI Pro, with it, you are able to configure RLS for your dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia, Ankipatira,

thanks for your responses - it finally worked as you said.

I now noticed, that RLS in general became a Pro feature and that's why it has been moved to the Desktop version (more comfortable implementation, no doubt). It has already been some weeks that I was actively working on PowerBI dashboards.

However, vey dissappointing to first announce RLS for free (with some limitations) and then bring it to the Pro content to be paid for out of a sudden. Maybe there has been some communication on channels used by frequent/daily users?!

I just have some minor non-business critical reports that I wanted to share with my staff, I could have lived with the limitations.

Bye,

Holger

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@holdger_d

i think you also need to remove any report or dashboard from service and then redeploy pbix file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.