Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkPHarris1
Helper I
Helper I

Power Bi Paginated Report Visual in Desktop Error

Hi there,

I was wondering if you can help, we recently got a power bi premium tenant and started using Power Bi Report Builder. I have pulled a Report builder report into a Power Bi desktop report and am trying to put 3 parameters into the desktop report. Once specify the three matching fields for the parameters however I get this error(regardless of filtering) and it doesn't show any data:

"You have attempted to pass an invalid parameter value from the item(s) you have selected. Please update your selections, or enter the parameter values manually, or contact the report author to update the parameter bindings for the paginated report."

I wanted to ask when specifying a parameter in power bi desktop to filter a Power bi Report builder report does it need to be in a certain format?  Should I use concatenex to turn it into a comma delimted list for example? 

Thanks for your help,

Mark

9 REPLIES 9
E12345
Resolver II
Resolver II

It did not work for me at all, so frustrated! The the report and parameters work fine outside of Power BI Desktop, but Report Builder visual keeps producing the weird error message now matter what I do with the query parameters (it works if I use report filters, but those make the paginated report run very slow, and not acceptable)

OMG - it worked after I started clicking on my slicers! Even though the error message was there as soon as I added the reprot to the visual! Wow! Thank You!

Thank you so much. This solved my issue. I was seriously wondering, what happend, why its throwing error, yes, once I filter the slicer and clicked on 'Apply change" it started working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was facing the same issue , and the reason it was throwing error for me was : I set up available value in my paginated report and I was pass input from Power BI desktop as well to paginated report. So it got confused to which one to pick .

So , what I did was in the parameter properties of paginated report - set the available value as None . Try again connecting the dashboard and try passing parameter values form Power BI it worked for me and it should work for other as well !

Some other things to consider is the datatype of the parameter that is setup in paginated report and in power bi. this is mentioned in Power BI as consideration.

v_s
Frequent Visitor

i am facing same issue but to no resolve, I am using paginated report with power bi data set. however I am facing it in service as well as desktop

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hay Hi Mark,

Does the issue got resolved ?, if yes please let us know what was the issue, it would be helpful to us

Thanks,

Suresh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did this ever get resolved? I have the same issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Did you resolve your problem? I'm also having the same issue.

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@MarkPHarris1 

I am not sure why you have taken Paginated Report into Desktop

you can set parameteres within Power BI Report Builder itself.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

I did it because we already have a Power BI dashbaord with slicers, and we wanted to extend this dashboard capability by providing a way to use the slicer to send parameter value to paginated report and hide Paginated report's native parameters (Power BI had no capability to render pixel perfect pre-structured paginated reports that you can export to PDF and Word). 
I am aware that paginated report has its own "parameters", but they do not have the same "look and feel" as the slicers in Power BI. Supposedly, you can link slicers and parameters (I did it), but the functionality is not working smoothly when you have optional slicers and multi select is allowed. 
For now, I just don't use the slicers from power BI, but provide a button from insude Power BI so the user can load a paginated report with its own parameters, which user enters separately ;(. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.