Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Bi On-Premise - Reports can't be loaded after upgrade to Jan 2019 Power BI report server

I have Power Bi on-premise installed on my report server . to do my daily work, i installed the regualr power bi desktop version on  my laptop to create reports etc.

Then I came to know that i cant publish reports with it, because i need Power Bi Desktop (January 2019) .

after installing Power Bi Jan-19 on my laptop and when i lauch my older reports here's what i get.error PBi.JPG

"Unable to open Document

the queries were authored with a newer version of power bi desktop and might not work with your version. Please install the latest version to avoid errors when refreshing"

How can i fix that?

another question is that i have the on-prem license, but when i start Power Bi on the desktop its asking to sign in. how can i sign in to build dashboards without buying a per-user license .

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So you could try making a trivial change to the query in the old version and see if you can then re-save the file. This may clear this warning. Otherwise I think you'd either need to re-build the report in the new version or wait until the next update to PBIRS (which is due to be released in May) at which point you can update to that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

This issue should caused by power bi desktop is not the latest version, you can install the latest version and check if this persists.

You can refer to this blog for troubleshooting:

https://sqlserverbi.blog/2018/02/03/managing-multiple-power-bi-desktop-application-versions/

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This issue should caused by power bi desktop is not the latest version, you can install the latest version and check if this persists.

@v-yuta-msft  This issue is happening because he originally authored the report in question in the latest version of desktop, not in the version that matches his PBIRS version. It is only when he opens an existing report (authored in a newer version of Desktop ) in the Jan 2019 desktop that is required for the Jan 2019 version of PBIRS that he gets this issue. So I believe my original suggestions still stand.

OK. So it turns out that you can install PBI desktop from three potential locations - your org instance, the public powerBI site, or the MS store. The silly thing is that these are not always in sync.

https://sqlserverbi.blog/2018/02/03/managing-multiple-power-bi-desktop-application-versions/

Essentially, I guess pick one install point for everyone on your team building reports and use it consistently to avoid this error.

@kelbow wrote:

OK. So it turns out that you can install PBI desktop from three potential locations - your org instance, the public powerBI site, or the MS store. The silly thing is that these are not always in sync.

The public site and store versions will always be pretty much in synch although the store versions will auto update and you have to update the other version manually. These versions are both designed to work with the cloud service (eg. powerbi.com)

If you are using an on-prem Power BI Report Server instance you could only install the version from your "org instance" so that the desktop version matches the report server version. The install link on your Report Server is designed to be out of synch with the 2 cloud targeted versions in order to avoid errors like the one you are seeing.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So you could try making a trivial change to the query in the old version and see if you can then re-save the file. This may clear this warning. Otherwise I think you'd either need to re-build the report in the new version or wait until the next update to PBIRS (which is due to be released in May) at which point you can update to that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.