Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nurry90
Helper I
Helper I

Power Bi Gateway

Hi All,

I have published a report to the service, scheduled refresh and everything seemed fine until I realised my excel file was not updating. I have added a column to my excel file, and noticed it is not appearing as part of my refreshed dataset.

I am now thinking I don't have my data gateway configured correctly. The excel file is on my local computer, where as the other data source is SQL, coming through enterprise gateway.

Nurry90_0-1606105202292.png

Does anyone have any suggestions to what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Nurry90

The answer will be your ETL steps (Power Query). You need to modify the M code to accomodate any new inclusion of columns in the table.

Is it possible to share the sample data file?

Cheers!
Vivek

Blog: vivran.in/my-blog
Connect on LinkedIn
Follow on Twitter

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nurry90
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @V-pazhen-msft & @vivran22 ,

Thank you for your feedback. I think @vivran22 is correct, makes the most sense. I will just have to change the code on the table and then republish. I though it would automatically recognise the additional columns when passed through the gateway.

Thanks again for your help.

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Nurry90 
Is there any error message when refresh dataset?

Check the refresh history see what is say after you add data in excel and refresh. 

V-pazhen-msft_0-1606283170454.png

BTW, both SQL databased and local excel file should go through the gateway(normally enterprise gateway).

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey @Nurry90 !

Adding a new column in an Excel table and it not reflecting in the Power BI report can be a result of steps applied on Power Query as well. Can you please check if you add/remove/modify rows in the excel table is relflecting in your report? This way you can validate if your gateway refresh is working properly.

Cheers!
Vivek

If it helps, please mark it as a solution. Kudos would be a cherry on the top 🙂
If it doesn't, then please share a sample data along with the expected results (preferably an excel file and not an image)

Connect on LinkedIn
Follow on Twitter

HI @vivran22 ,

I have deleted one of the colums as a test in my excel file and tried to refresh my datasent, and received an error to say that the column was no longer there. So now at least I know the gateway is working. But why would the new data not be showing?

vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Nurry90

The answer will be your ETL steps (Power Query). You need to modify the M code to accomodate any new inclusion of columns in the table.

Is it possible to share the sample data file?

Cheers!
Vivek

Connect on LinkedIn
Follow on Twitter

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.