Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

raghavkh
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi Desktop Update

Hello, I am trying to update Power BI desktop from the Power bi desktop and when I click the link to update it downloads the POwer Bi desktop installation file. I don't want to install it again but I just want to update. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @raghavkh

To update your Power BI desktop installation, you have to download the latest version, just as it proposed you.

when you execute the downloaded file, it should detect your previous installation and update it.

Sébastien

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
kilikki

The update info seems to show up in the Microsoft Store. I am not sure if you can initiate an update from there, but when I accessed my store today, I could see that the Power BI Desktop app was updated yesterday for me. You might want to check that out. It will show up in the "Downloads and updates" section.

raulbarton
Frequent Visitor

raulbarton
Frequent Visitor

I cannot update power bi in W10. I have execute: 

msiexec /i  PBIDesktop_x64.msi /l*xv install.log and I would like attach the result but I can not either.

the windows alert said: "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource taht is unavailable.

click ok to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containning the installation package "PBIDesktop_x64.msi" in the box bellow" and in the box bellow appear the download folder default: "c:\users\user1\downloads\" and if I push ok don´t do anything, and the trouble said that I can´t uninstall the previous version. And if I try to uninstalla manually the previous version have the same result.

I have exactly the same issue .. did you find a solution?

@raulbarton @maxui

I am facing the same issue. Have you found a solution to this?

Error.PNG

Power BI link says update - yet process is full install..  So confusing.    Got to be better way to tell users that an update is actually full install.   Even after full install, it still says updates available.    Really sucks.

@vanessa @maxui

Someone told me:

yes, I know. When I click the next, there is a choice to remove the previous installation. You install the program by Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall a program. Please find the directory for the application and delete all the files in the directory. The software is  located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin defaultly. Then

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE, HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder. How to completely uninstall program, please review this article.

…..

but really, after that, I repaired it, when I opened regedit and looked for every entry with "power Bi Desktop" and I deleted everything and finally I reinstall the program again.

Regards

@raulbarton I was getting an option "Next" and I wasn't able to uninstall from control panel as well.

@maxui I installed Windows Installer CleanUp Utility available on the microsoft website and it removed all the directories related to Power BI. And then I was able to install the latest version of PowerBI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This unistall utility worked for me. The only tweak was that there was no reference to a previous PowerBI installation, since theoretically it was already unistalled. But there were two "Name not available" (or something like that, not sure) entries which I could forcebly uninstall. After that, the new installation from msi just worked as expected. Thanks!!

Juca

maxui
Frequent Visitor

Thanks

could you provide a link?

I've found some suspect sites proporting to host it.

Matt

I'm facing the same issue for upgrade / install fresh Power Bi desktop x64. I have already manually remove it, also I have use uninstall tools for complete remove (Iobit Pro) and I can't install Power Bi Deskop yet.

It's showing that there is another power bi installation in progress, I have reboot computer twice with no sucessful.

Can some one help me ?

As I can't attach log file from this command: msiexec /i  PBIDesktop_x64.msi /l*xv install.log

maxui
Frequent Visitor

Hi.

Nope

if i do i'll post it here.

Matt

Gene1

I agree with other users.   It is a weird setup.    Why wont the software just update itself, like every other program?   I was confused by the fact that I had to redownload the whole thing.

Can the update be taken care of when using the System Center Configuration Manager for Office 365 ProPlus ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @raghavkh

To update your Power BI desktop installation, you have to download the latest version, just as it proposed you.

when you execute the downloaded file, it should detect your previous installation and update it.

Sébastien

So in order to update every time , i should download the 90 Mb installation file and then update using that correct? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unti whey find a new way for updating existing installation, I guess yes... sorry 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.