Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Bi Desktop Sort by Column is not sorting (the function had worked on other visuals in page)

Hello,

I'm very new to Power Bi, but I felt like I was making good headway with a project before I ran into an issue. In the bottom visual (i.e., the bottom of the below screenshot), one can see that the responses are arranged in numerical order: 2, 3, 6.

Power Bi response values.jpg

When I replace ResponseValue with ResponseMeaning, I get this (which is fine):

Power Bi response meanings.jpg

But...when I try to sort by ResponseValue nothing happens:

Power Bi Sort By Not Working.jpg

I believe I used the same functionality to create the two above visuals, but the bottom is not being responsive to the sort function in this case. Any help would be much appreciated. Just to add, I have it set up in the relationship page so that sorting can happen "both" directions.

The data file that I am using to sort looks like this:

Power Bi response data key.jpg

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please select column "ResponseMeaning" and then sort it by "ResponseValue".

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please select column "ResponseMeaning" and then sort it by "ResponseValue".

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Icey,

I actually stumbled into that on Saturday, btt hadn't gotten a chance to revise my post. I feel a bit silly now. thanks for posting!

For some reason I was trying to sort the graph by ResponseValue instead of clicking on ResponseMeaning first. An amateur move, but one I somehow missed and was so glad to figure out.

I appreciate you responding! Hopefully if others struggle with this they can get this helpful reminder.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody?

Is something locked or something?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.