Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Bi Dektops crashes/closes

Hi,

Can you advise what to do if a PBI Desktop regularly crashes (by that I mean suddenly closes, which means that I lose the progress of my work).

It's a Windows 10 64-bit system on SSD with 8GB RAM laptop. I've got the latest Power Bi Desktop and upgrade it regularly.

Because that does not happen on my desktop with Windows 7 and 4GB RAM, I'm thinking it's something peculiar to this particular system.

Are there any pieces of advice in terms of what should I do?

If the best option is to reinstall (I've tried that), what exactly would I have to do to completely clean it from the system before reinstallation (registry/temp/config files, etc.)?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @Anonymous 

Did it work okay before? If it did ,try to skip this version  and  go back to a previous version.

In addition ,if you  need  uninstall PowerBi ,please follow these steps:

1.Uninstall Using Control Panel

2.Delete Remaining Files and Folders of the Program

3.Remove Software Keys from Windows Registry

4.Empty Temp Folder

For more details, please review this post and  article:

URL1: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/I-can-t-update-power-bi-desktop/td-p/91740

URL2: https://www.askvg.com/how-to-completely-uninstall-remove-a-software-program-in-windows-without-using-3rd-party-software/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @Anonymous 

Did it work okay before? If it did ,try to skip this version  and  go back to a previous version.

In addition ,if you  need  uninstall PowerBi ,please follow these steps:

1.Uninstall Using Control Panel

2.Delete Remaining Files and Folders of the Program

3.Remove Software Keys from Windows Registry

4.Empty Temp Folder

For more details, please review this post and  article:

URL1: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/I-can-t-update-power-bi-desktop/td-p/91740

URL2: https://www.askvg.com/how-to-completely-uninstall-remove-a-software-program-in-windows-without-using-3rd-party-software/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't remember whether there were crashes before as I used it on and off for a few months before I started using it almost on a daily basis (a couple of months now)

Thanks for the guidance on uninstalling Power Bi Desktop. I'll try to do it and see what happens.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Happy New Year.

I've followed the steps to completely remove all traces of Power Bi from the system. (There were so many references in the registry. It took some time to remove all of them). I've installed a downloadable version of PowerBI now and seems to be running ok. Not a single crash for almost 2 days of using. Hopefully, it's been sorted. Thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

Which Power BI desktop version do you use?

32-Bit/64-Bit?

Store Version/Download Version?

Regards,

Marcus

Dortmund - Germany
If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a 64-bit Download version. I think initially I used the store version and then at some point moved to the download version to get the latest updates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors