Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Bi Data Set

Dear Power Bi Communitee,

I use a Power Bi Dataset in order to build some visuals. But I would need to visualize & add some tables. Unfortunately, it's not possible -> I can't see the icon data on the left part. Do you have any explanations? This appears even if I'm the owner of the data set.

Thanks for your help.

HervéCapture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Indeed they are, apologies i misunderstood your problem, as this is not direct query to a dataset its live connection. So when its live you are not able to change it. However, you said this is your data source why dont you connect to the table or SQL instead of the dataset, it would be possible to make the necessary changes then. If you connected to the dataset directly you cannot change it unfortunately. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

The reason why you dont see the option is because you are using direct query mode and not import. If you change all your tables to be import mode you will see the option and be able to make changes to the data in the tables. The difference is that if you use direct query you will not need to refresh the report to get the new data, but if its import mode everytime before you want to see the new data you need to refresh and re-publish the report (just an additional step). Hope this helps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @natabird3 for your answer - and how can move a Power Bi Data set in import mode ? Thanks

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

If you click on the bottom right corner you can see the option to select switch all tables to import mode:

error.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@natabird3 sorry, but I can't see this option...do I need to activate something ?Capture.PNG

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I think you already converted it as if you see now you can see your table option appear. otherwise, its right here:

error.PNG

But now in the screenshot you sahre you already have the table option if its not the same report then try clicking in the bottom corner.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@natabird3  sorry - I took the strong screenshot - here what I get when I use the Power Bi Data set

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@natabird3 and properties are hidden

Capture.PNG

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Here is an idea you can vote on but again this is currently not available.

Link: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=d770b60b-8202-4db8-848d-90450923d0bb 

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Indeed they are, apologies i misunderstood your problem, as this is not direct query to a dataset its live connection. So when its live you are not able to change it. However, you said this is your data source why dont you connect to the table or SQL instead of the dataset, it would be possible to make the necessary changes then. If you connected to the dataset directly you cannot change it unfortunately. 

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

the other way to do it is going to the relationship page and changing it from there:

error.PNG

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , As of now you can add anything else, if you are using power bi dataset

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello - sorry I didn't get your point. Can't add any table to my PB Data Set from PB Desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.