Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jijods4
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi Custom Filter - How to add interaction with Multiple Categories

I am creating a custom filter in power bi. My basic idea is say, I have two categories "Category and Segment" , which has following values. Category -> Technology,Office Supplies, Furniture. Segment -> Consumer, Corporate, Home Office. and when user want to filter charts based on any of these values he clicks on appropriate buttons.(each value would be a button). How to achieve this?

I have been able to do create a custom filter for one category.When I put two categories filter does not work.

Here is the result with one category -with one categoryThis works exactly with three distinct values. But when we add one more category power bi's Grouping issue comes. Meaning now the grouping is between category and segment and so nine distinct values comes. From power bi perspective its correct but what I am expecting is 6 values only , no grouping between each other.With two Category

How to overcome this?

-- Codes -- getting data.

let viewModel: ViewModel = {
        dataPoints: []
      };
      if (
        !dv ||
        !dv[0] ||
        !dv[0].categorical ||
        !dv[0].categorical.categories ||
        !dv[0].categorical.categories[0].source
        //   || !dv[0].categorical.values
      )
        return viewModel;
      let view = dv[0].categorical;
      let categories = view.categories[0];
      console.log("Categories:-");
      console.log(categories);
      //   for (let j = 0; j < categories.length; j++) {
      for (let i = 0, len = categories.values.length; i < len; i += 1) {
        viewModel.dataPoints.push({
          category: <string>categories.values[i],
          identity: this.host
            .createSelectionIdBuilder()
            .withCategory(categories, i)
            .createSelectionId()
        });
      }
      //   }

return viewModel;

-- saying to power bi to slice __this.selectionManager.select(element.identity); where element is each button

What I am expecting is how many ever category we put they don't group each other rather gives back distinct values of each category and for all these a button would be there. On clicking the button it filters the chart.

2 REPLIES 2
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @jijods4,

have you tried to use a slicer which has a horizontal orientation? You can create as many as you want direct from your fact table or dim tables and it'll filter your fact table as expected.

On the screenshot you can see two slicers and one table which is filtered by both slicers.

Capture3.PNG

Thanks for the replay.

I have tried it but the problem here is only one caetgory can be accomodated here. If we have 3 categories namly country , state and district then we need 3 slicers basically.

Instead of that what I am looking forward is a search area where we can search contry name, or state name or district name. and then filter happens.

Any idea how we can impliment this..?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.