cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anmsharma Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Power Bi Configuration

Hi Team,

We need to configure the Power Bi desktop at the Windows Server 2008. Got the system requirements from the website as I am new to it.

But I am confused how to place the Power Bi Desktop, Datasource and the Gateway.

Is there a way for Disaster Recovery in Power Bi?

Thank you

Anmol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Power Bi Configuration

power bi Desktop is an application that is loaded locally in your environment. It is used to create workbooks that are published to powerbi.com. You always have a master copy of the workbook so there is no issue.  Any changes you make on powerbi.com including changes to reports and all dashboards  cannot be backed up by you. MS recently allowed you to download pbix files from the service but as of now this doesn't  include changes you made in the cloud. Read my article here. 

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/save-pbix-power-bi-service-under-delivers/

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Are you asking if you can backup PowerBI.com?  No you can't (as of now)

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Regular Visitor

Hi @MattAllington,

Thanks for your response.

I want to calrify if the server where Power Bi Desktop is hosted fails. How would I be able to recover the reports in such case.

Please let me know if more details are required. Would appreciate your help as I am a beginner.

Thanks

Super User
Super User

power bi Desktop is an application that is loaded locally in your environment. It is used to create workbooks that are published to powerbi.com. You always have a master copy of the workbook so there is no issue.  Any changes you make on powerbi.com including changes to reports and all dashboards  cannot be backed up by you. MS recently allowed you to download pbix files from the service but as of now this doesn't  include changes you made in the cloud. Read my article here. 

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/save-pbix-power-bi-service-under-delivers/

Regular Visitor

Thanks a ton @MattAllington for the detailed explanation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 149 members 1,865 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: