Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RakeshP
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI

Hi ALL,

I have few questions.

1. Does Power BI supports Dataware house model??

2. Does Power BI Supports Cubes etc??

3. What is the backend for power bi ?? ( I mean to say for eg for Tibco Jaspersoft'S jasper has mysql database as backend to store job's information etc)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

HI Rakesh

Please spend some time to read about Power BI. You can read all about Power BI https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-get-started/

1. Yes Power BI supports data warehouse models

2. Yes Power BI supports SSAS Cubes

3. I do not understand what do you mean by backend system (Do you mean source systems?)

Regards

Harris

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I believe Excel and PBI desktop use an in memory engine taken from SQLServer called xVelocity, as such there is no backend database.  The raw data is held in a .xlsx (excel) or .pbix file and loaded into memory.

The system uses very powerful compression algorithms which means large quantities of data can be analysed very quickly and gets around the old excel size issues. There is a 250mb size limit in PBI but because of the compression used 100 million + rows of data can be stored and handled without major issue.

Do u mean "without any issue" for the last statement in your reply??

lol, yes, I noticed the typo but the website is slow today and the edit took a while to do.

Power Pivot Data Model = Power BI Data Model = SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular mode.

Power BI Desktop and Power Pivot run a private, slightly feature-reduced version of SSAS Tabular behind the application process. The features you're missing vary, but the largest by far is role-based security.

Power BI Web Service uses the same engine - I cannot speak to its specific implementation (what sort of multi-tenancy is used).

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

HI Rakesh

Please spend some time to read about Power BI. You can read all about Power BI https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-get-started/

1. Yes Power BI supports data warehouse models

2. Yes Power BI supports SSAS Cubes

3. I do not understand what do you mean by backend system (Do you mean source systems?)

Regards

Harris

Hi HarrisMalik,

Thanks for the info.

in the 3rd question what i mean is the what is the backend database supporting Power BI ??

@RakeshP Might be SQL Server Databases hosted on Azure Cloud. Or Power BI admin can answer this question 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.