Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BrandonMurray

Power BI with Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate?

I'm new to Power BI and new to Sage 300 CRE. I want to access data stored in Sage to create some PBI dashboards. If Sage 300 were stored in a SQL Server table, I could find it easy enough, but it appears to be stored in a series of .DAT files in a directory structure.

Does anyone have any pointers on connecting to Sage 300 CRE data?

9 REPLIES 9
rbruscino

Sage 300 CRE release 17.1 ships with their SQL Replicator that basically replicates the entire Sage 300 CRE Pervasive database to a MS SQL server instance. The SQL Gateway, originally shipped with 12.1 R3 did the same thing but had to be scheduled to run when no users are in the Sage 300 CRE application. The current 17.1 version can run in realtime with no restrictions when in production with users in the system. Sage also offers a webservice that sync's the on-prem SQL DB to an Azure DB instance as well if you wish to use a web DB instance in lieu of an on-premise instance. This is all part of Sage's latest web reporting and mobile strategy which you can leverage on for reporting/BI as well.

www.ATXAdvisory.com

Hi - I found this post while researching.  I am looking to connect Power BI with Sage 300 CRE to create dashboards for use in Viva Goals.  We are a longtime Sage 300 CRE user and are on version 22 in a citrix virtual environment.   Is there a connector that can help me with this?  I searched the Power BI marketplace and do not find a specific solution.  

I have researched and can confrim this is accurate information if anyone else is pursuing a solution for Power BI with Sage 300 CRE.

Further to the above which says it is possible - has anyone successfully integrated power BI with Sage 300?

This can be done using the process below. Performance can be improved if you use SQL backup of the data as a souce instead of using the Timberline Data Source.

-Open Power BI locally. Note: Must be the 32 bit version to connect to Sage.

-Choose Get Data.

-Select ODBC for the connection type.

-Pick the Timberlibe Data Source. Note: Sage must be instaled on the machine)

-Enter Sage Credentials, hit connect.

-Expand folder to choose the tables you would like, hit load. If this does not show the proper data folder this can be changed from the 32bit ODBC administrator. You will need to close and open Power BI to see changes.

To add to this, if you are using the SQL Replocator you can connect this to the Power BI Gateway to sync data to the Microsoft environment. This then alows you to send data to the online Power BI Suite and do your reporting from the online suite.

js5000

While this may not be 'suported' I believe you would be able to connect this to the Timberline Data Source after choosing ODBC from Power BI, if you have the proper credentials. Another option would be too look at Sage 300 CRE version 17.1 (SQL Replicator) or Anterra to replicate Data to SQL, which will allow better performance.

Edit: Spelling

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BrandonMurray,

Could you please mark the proper answer if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BrandonMurray,

It seems Sage CRE isn't supported by now. Please vote or create an idea here: power-bi-ideas. Maybe this could be a workaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFincW1u84U&feature=youtu.be

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.