Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pguru

Power BI to AWS

Hello,

I want to connect with Power BI to AWS databases.  I am looking for two options RDS SQL Server and Redshift.

Is there any speed limitations of the connection of one vs the other?  I assume RDS SQL server can be seen by Power BI just as a regular SQL Server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@pguru ,

As far as I know, it might not make a difference after Amazon RDS provisions your DB instance. You could also create a support ticket for assistance.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@pguru ,

You may check out this article that explains DirectQuery.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft 

Thank you for the info.  I am aware of Direct query and that it works for Redshift.

Can you confirm that I can use RDS SQL Server as a data warehouse and use Power BI in both Import and DirectQuery mode, and publish reports in Power BI service?  I am not sure how reliable the Power BI "SQL Server database" connector is for this purpose.  The fact that I am using a RDS SQL Server instance and not a pure SQL Server does it make a difference?

@pguru ,

As far as I know, it might not make a difference after Amazon RDS provisions your DB instance. You could also create a support ticket for assistance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.