Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dtango9
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI table help

Hello,

I created a table visual that I'm hoping someone can help me with.  The columns for the table are:  Expense, MTD Actual, MTD Budget, PY (Prior Year), and Budget Variance.  The problem I'm having is that the MTD Actual and MTD Budget columns are pulling, for instance, all October results but for every year instead of just 2020.  I can't use a filter on the page or visual because one of the columns is Prior Year.  The data is always used for the previous month, ie:  we are currently in November so I would be reporting on October's results.

Can someone help me with the correct formulas for:

MTD Actual (2020 + Previous Month)

MTD Budget (2020 + Previous Month)

Prior Year (2019 + Previous Month)?

Thank you!

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dtango9 ,

Try to create measure like this:

MTD Actuals =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( financials[ Sales] ),
    FILTER (
        financials,
        financials[Date]
            >= EDATE ( DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ), MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1 ), -1 )
            && financials[Date] < DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ), MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1 )
    )
)

V-lianl-msft_0-1606806498547.png

Sample .pbix

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dtango9 ,

Try to create measure like this:

MTD Actuals =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( financials[ Sales] ),
    FILTER (
        financials,
        financials[Date]
            >= EDATE ( DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ), MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1 ), -1 )
            && financials[Date] < DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ), MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1 )
    )
)

V-lianl-msft_0-1606806498547.png

Sample .pbix

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share some data and show the expected result.  If possible, share an MS Excel workbook as well with your formulas so that the logic can be understood and converted into the DAX formula language.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Expected Result.JPG

*** I should also note that our fiscal year begins in November and ends in December.

MTD Actuals = CALCULATE( SUM('finance ExpensesWithAccountDescriptions'[Total Amount]))
YTD Actuals = CALCULATE( [Actuals],DATESYTD('New Calender Table'[Dates], "30/11"))
MTD Budget = CALCULATE(SUM('FY2020 Budget'[Mo. Budget]))
YTD Budget = CALCULATE( [Budget],DATESYTD('New Calender Table'[Dates], "30/11"))
MTD Prior Year = CALCULATE(SUM('finance ExpensesWithAccountDescriptions'[Total Amount]),DATEADD('New Calender Table'[Dates],-1,YEAR))
YTD Prior Year = CALCULATE( [Prior Year],DATESYTD('New Calender Table'[Dates], "30/11"))

Hi,

Not much to suggest.  Ensure that Year/Quarter/Month/Date are dragged from the Calendar Table.  Also, YTD actuals should be

YTD Actuals = CALCULATE( [MTD Actuals],DATESYTD('New Calender Table'[Dates], "30/11"))

My assumption is that all relationships are properly set up.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.