Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI sorely lacking support for date related charts (timelines, Gantt)

While evaluating reporting engines for my company I of course tried out Power BI. At first I thought "Great! Everyone seems to be raving about it and there are tons of videos and tutorials so this should be a snap."

However, I soon discovered that Power BI is great IF you only want to chart numbers such as percentages and financials. No matter how far and wide I searched I could find very little information on working with dates, especially in creating timelines or Gantt charts.

Not only that but navigating the Microsoft Power BI minefield is a nightmare. For example, my copy of Power BI Desktop wants to be upgraded but now it wants to do it via the Microsoft Store. Only the download sticks at 0%. I then tried to reset the download but then got the error “Something unexpected happened”. But when I clicked “Report this problem” it said I needed to so via the “feedback-hub”. Again, another MS app that I cannot download or install.

Next, navigating the MS Power BI infrastructure is ridiculous with its countless logins and re-logins for the various Microsoft accounts I apparently have. None of which seem be connected to the laces I need to go.

Sorry but I'm just not drinking the Power BI Koolaide as after days of trying I could still not generate a decent timeline or Gantt chart. Whereas I was able to spin up both types using Tableau in a matter of hours.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems that you have the most problem for creating timeline chart and Gantt chart in power bi desktop.

I'm afraid that both of the charts you could find in MS AppStore.

You could download the two custom visual from the links below or get them from markplace in power bi desktop.

TImeline

Gantt

If you get them from web, you also could download the related sample report so that you could do a research of it.

In addition, you could refer to the videos below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDHnolS9kVU

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems that you have the most problem for creating timeline chart and Gantt chart in power bi desktop.

I'm afraid that both of the charts you could find in MS AppStore.

You could download the two custom visual from the links below or get them from markplace in power bi desktop.

TImeline

Gantt

If you get them from web, you also could download the related sample report so that you could do a research of it.

In addition, you could refer to the videos below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDHnolS9kVU

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This does NOT solve the Timeline Gannt chart issue. None of the visuals on the app store can support more than 3 dates. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.