Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kalpana_Atkins

Power BI slicer sort order issue

Hi All,

Facing slicer sort order issue.  Given sort by column in modeling tab of data but in report it is showing default alphabetical ascending sort order. below are the screenshots for referance. Any thing i am missing or how to solve the same, any one have any ideas please help me.

PowerBISlicerSortOrderIssue.png
PowerBISlicerSortOrderIssue1.png 

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Are you getting this after using sort option on three dots..

Screenshot 2019-09-27 14.41.41.png

yes i am, but i don't need alphabetical sort order exception was sort by Id and display same order like 
PowerBIIssue_1.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kalpana_Atkins  In your above example you have selected the 'ID' column and sorted that column by 'ID'.

You need to actually define how to sort the 'Name' column rather than the 'ID' column.

So - similar to what you have already done - select/highlight the 'Name' column and sort this column by 'ID'.

That should do it.

Hi  Martyngordon,

Thank you so much for quick reply and yes, this is working with unique values ( in Name column). but here i have issue like different projects can contains same values(in Name column) for referance below is the screenshot. If possible any solution for this?

PowerBI_SortIssue_12.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Kalpana_Atkins 

Yes, I understand. This has happened because there are the same 'names' across multiple 'ID' - eg, 'Options Appraisal' appears against ID 27 and 28.

To avoid this you need to create a separate table which contains the 'Names' and sort order which will then be linked to 'Names' in the original table.

What you need to do is create another table containing only the 'names' along with an number sequence (or sort order). So, in the HOME menu, click 'Enter Data'. You will now need to enter the data manually as follows....

SORT.jpg

Click load when finished.

Next you need to join the two tables together on 'Name'

Join.png

Nearly finished......you now need to create a column in the ORIGINAL TABLE. The code is below...

Press 'new column' with the original table selected and type in the code below...

dax.jpg

The last step is to sort the name column as you did earlier, but this time on the new column you just created.

So highlight the 'name' column in the original table and 'sort by column' on the new created column.

Hope that makes sense!

Martyn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.