Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI sign up issue in Desktop after updating to August 2019 version

Hi,

We are facing an issue while signing up Power BI desktop after updating to August 2019 version. We didn't had this issue till now for close to more than an year. We have done below steps to fix it but still no chance,

1) Uninstalled and re-installed the software.

2) Cleared the browser cache and signed in.

3) Restarted the machine and signed in.

Signup Issue.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

We have had a similar issue with the August release of Power BI Desktop (Version: 2.72.5556.801 64-bit (August 2019)).

We received a "Unable to sign in" message saying we failed proxy authentication.

I confirmed that I could successfully 'sign in' outside of the Company Network but recieved an error message trying to connect via network. Also we uninstalled August release and re-installed July desktop and had no -issues siging in.

After doing some research we came across a blog suggesting that a default proxy is needed.

The following code was added to the August PBIDesktop.exe config file as a work around:-

<system.net>

<defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true"></defaultProxy>

</system.net>

I logged a ticket with Microsoft who suggested whitelisting the IP addresses and download PowerBI desktop from the Microsoft store.

Hope this helps

Simon Walker

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

1. I would suggest you double check if that specific email address can sign in Power BI. You can enter the URL ( https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/ ) in browser inprivate mode, then click the Sign in button on the top right side and type the email address to see if you can login Power BI successfully.

2. If you really can sign in Power BI, please run Fiddler with HTTPS encrypt enabled, repeat the steps to sign in Power BI in desktop. Share .saz file here.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi,

We have had a similar issue with the August release of Power BI Desktop (Version: 2.72.5556.801 64-bit (August 2019)).

We received a "Unable to sign in" message saying we failed proxy authentication.

I confirmed that I could successfully 'sign in' outside of the Company Network but recieved an error message trying to connect via network. Also we uninstalled August release and re-installed July desktop and had no -issues siging in.

After doing some research we came across a blog suggesting that a default proxy is needed.

The following code was added to the August PBIDesktop.exe config file as a work around:-

<system.net>

<defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true"></defaultProxy>

</system.net>

I logged a ticket with Microsoft who suggested whitelisting the IP addresses and download PowerBI desktop from the Microsoft store.

Hope this helps

Simon Walker

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks so much. It works fine by adding the code in config file. But looking for a permanent fix from Power BI end.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.